Author Topic: Can an arrowhead be too thin?  (Read 2596 times)

Offline Sammakesbows

Can an arrowhead be too thin?
« on: August 29, 2020, 10:28:58 pm »
I made some broadheads by cutting a pipe down the middle, flattening it, and cutting it, and its paper thin. I dont plan n hunting with it, but are there problems with using a too thin arrowhead?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Can an arrowhead be too thin?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 09:50:32 am »
A couple things to consider would be how much weight you have forward of center? How your dynamic spine is? How durable is your very thin point?

Thin is usually good for slicing and penetrating. Some durability is needed for going through ribs and other obstacles.

The right combination of weight and shaft stiffness is needed for good arrow flight. A well tuned arrow should fly straight without any fletching. If a arrow doesn’t straighten out very quickly and enters target at a angle it badly effects the penetration and durability of the arrow. In this case it might not be thickness as much as weight.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 01:04:31 pm »
A couple things to consider would be how much weight you have forward of center? How your dynamic spine is? How durable is your very thin point?

Thin is usually good for slicing and penetrating. Some durability is needed for going through ribs and other obstacles.

The right combination of weight and shaft stiffness is needed for good arrow flight. A well tuned arrow should fly straight without any fletching. If a arrow doesn’t straighten out very quickly and enters target at a angle it badly effects the penetration and durability of the arrow. In this case it might not be thickness as much as weight.

Bjrogg
  How come we use fletching at all then?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 01:29:17 pm »

Bjrogg
  How come we use fletching at all then?

A lot of cultures don't.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 05:21:40 pm »
Well, if adding feathers lets me get away with using sub perfect shafts, then I'll have fewer shafts to throw away.

Also, feathers are probably more important when shooting longer ranges. 

Finally, fetching styles have immense artistic and cultural signature.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 01:07:01 pm »
Well, if adding feathers lets me get away with using sub perfect shafts, then I'll have fewer shafts to throw away.

Those are all good reasons for fletch. They will help straighten arrows flight sooner. They will keep tip from dropping as quickly. They help less than perfect (which is pretty much every shaft) Tune better.

And they look cool.

You can learn a lot from shooting a arrow without fletch though. For me it was a very eye opening experience.

If the thin point is durable enough but to light. You can add weight some other way to get proper flight.
Or use a lighter spine or longer shaft.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 10:29:38 pm »
What kind of pipe, and how did you flatten it?  Also, how thin is paper thin?  In my opinion, if it is thinner than a circular saw blade, it is too thin.  But I am no expert or even very knowledgeable on points!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 03:00:36 pm »

I'll also add, that when the adrenaline is flowing, fletching helps correct imperfect release/form when hunting or competing
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-