Author Topic: Arrow length vs draw length  (Read 17478 times)

Offline DC

Arrow length vs draw length
« on: September 11, 2020, 01:12:45 pm »
How do you decide between these measurements when you're making a bow? When I'm just shooting for speed I've found that DL is king but when you shoot for distance then aerodynamics rears it's head and a shorter skinnier arrow would maybe trump some of the DL's advantage. Shorter arrow could mean a shorter bow which would return quicker would it not? It seems to me that there is a whole lot of interdependencies going on here. So, how do you choose?

Offline willie

Re: Arrow length vs draw length
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 01:34:29 pm »
good flight arrows seem to be in demand for record breaking so I would think the bow needs to be built around the preferred arrow.

the broadhead class being a bit different, as it standardize arrows to make the game more about the bows

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 01:44:19 pm »
good flight arrows seem to be in demand for record breaking so I would think the bow needs to be built around the preferred arrow.

Granted, but you can have a very good arrow in 24" or 26" for example, but the 26" has those extra 2" of DL. Can that 2" less arrow length reduce the air resistance enough to negate the advantage of the 2" of DL?

Offline willie

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 03:42:26 pm »
it would be interesting to know what arrow lengths were used to consistently challenge and set the records in the class you are interested in. I don't know if the record book has the arrow specs, but certainly someone has an educated guess.

shorter arrows are stiffer for their diameter, and aerodynamic theory puts a lot of weight on the diameter factor in addition to less resistance overall for being shorter.

in addition to aerodynamic factors down range, the stiffness/spine is needed for minimizing fletching and having adequate early stabilization out of the bow.
at least, that is how I understand some of the factors.
which of the numerous requirements to make a winning shot is the one that needs the most attention in your set up might be difficult to determine without lots of testing.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 04:05:46 pm »
Yes, I'm kind of assuming that it is mostly trial and error but I thought there might be some theories that may short cut it a bit.

Offline willie

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 04:15:06 pm »
theories can only be tested, but there might be a way to test arrows at less than full range that can useful.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 09:40:04 pm »
Build the bow, then build the arrows and tune them into the bow. If your shooting a 25" arrow, the bow should never be drawn more than 25" and the bow should be a length and design that is fully stressed, but not to the point of breaking down at 25". You need a great bow, but arrows are maybe more important. I broke a record last year and this year with the same bow and new arrow I shot it 35 yards further for a new record.
 I like how many people have a interest in flight. It would be great to have many more talented bowyers show up to add more challenge and fun to the events.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2020, 09:46:51 pm »
Just fyi, all my records were set at about 27.5". Primitive class minimum arrow length is 23". Others have set records with various lengths. I would like to toy with shorter bows and draws.

"Granted, but you can have a very good arrow in 24" or 26" for example, but the 26" has those extra 2" of DL. Can that 2" less arrow length reduce the air resistance enough to negate the advantage of the 2" of DL?"

Yes or no, it's all in the bow and arrows made for it.

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2020, 07:52:59 am »
In the past a small overdraw shelf was often attached to the bow to allow a shorter arrow and a longer draw relative to the arrow.

I believe that is still allowed in some classes.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2020, 08:57:39 am »
Pat, it is allowed in Turkish and unlimited. Not sure about anywhere else. Overdraws are not allowed in the primitive class.

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2020, 09:08:59 am »
I think complex composite as well?   Or perhaps just the unlimited complex composite class.  If so it would be nice to see DC  enter one outside its class with a short overdraw.

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2020, 09:27:43 am »
If so it would be nice to see DC  enter one outside its class with a short overdraw.
What does enter outside it's class mean?

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2020, 10:32:28 am »
Entering a simple composite in the complex composite class.  Or maybe putting an overdraw on a selfbow and entering a class that allows that. I believe you can enter in another class as long as you are at  a disadvantage.

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2020, 11:22:27 am »
Ah, going up a class, gotcha, thanks :D

bownarra

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2020, 12:27:43 am »
I've found 24 inch arrows draw to 28 have done best for me.