Author Topic: Belt sander  (Read 1251 times)

Offline DC

Belt sander
« on: September 22, 2020, 07:16:37 pm »
I have a cheapey Canadian Tire/ Harbour Freight/ Whatever 4x36 belt sander. Works great but the belt has started drifting. It goes over to one side and with a minor adjustment it drifts right over to the other side. Can't make it happy. It's worse if I load it down a bit like doing Boo backings. It's been around for 4-5 years. It's just started doing this. I put a little pitch on the drive roller and that helped for a few days. Probably wear but where? See what I did there he he ;D ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Belt sander
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 08:06:45 pm »
Have you tried a new belt? Mine drifts when the belt get old and loose. It's a 6x48 Grizzly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 08:27:17 pm »
I've read that on the internet and I can't for the life of me figure out how a loose belt can make the sanding belt drift. I'll believe you but I'd sure like an explanation. I'll have to go look for one.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 05:09:37 am »
I had one and the bushing in the front roller was worn, it was hard to keep it adjusted for the belt not to drift, especially when you put a load on it.
The better ones have bearings but this cheaper one I had just had brass bushings in the rollers. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 09:30:06 am »
Mine has a bearing in the front and it seemed OK but the shaft seemed to have some movement on the side without the adjuster. I cleaned the rollers and ran over the drive roller with some 36 grit because it looked a little shiny. I try it a little more today but it seemed like if I loaded the adjuster side(left) it runs true but if I load the right side the belt moves right.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 10:42:59 am »
Probably the bearings...I had to change 'em on my old one. The ones they fit are just "shielded" rather than "sealed" which means the dust eventually gets in and they wear out.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2020, 12:31:17 pm »
Would you feel any play in the bearings? These feel fine but I know sometimes it isn't that obvious.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2020, 01:04:12 pm »
If you keep tension on the belt while not in use it will stretch it and on my Grizzly 6"x48" belt sander if the belt is slack it will ride to one side of the wheels and even the adjustment won't keep it true.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2020, 01:55:54 pm »
If there is no or light load on it, it will run true all day. I spotted something I'm trying. When you drop the bed down on mine there is only one stop that it rests on. If you press on the other side the whole bed twists. That can't help. I've put a temp block under it to support both sides. See if that helps.