Author Topic: Next step  (Read 5323 times)

Offline Shamusrobert

Re: Next step
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2020, 03:47:18 am »
How does a Martin style bow fair in the flight shooting game?

Offline PatM

« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2020, 06:45:11 am »
The Martin style IS a flight bow.    In the past that's what people tended to use.

Offline PatM

« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2020, 06:48:11 am »
The trick is making it 'work' enough.
Concetrating the bend closer to the handle will give a faster tip speed. Combine with the shortest sharpest recurves. Sinew heavily crowned and concentrated in the inner limb to help that area, start to feather it out about mid limb.
Sinew will (should!) allow you to start off with more intial reflex. The problem is overstraining the belly.....once it starts to take set the return speed goes...
I haven't been making any fun bows for too long all this flight shooting and performance talk is giving me the itch again haha
Good luck on your journey DC :)

In a wood based tr-lam with sinew I think it helps to first back the intermediate layer in severe reflex and then glue that to a less reflexed belly

Offline DC

« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2020, 08:00:21 am »
Thanks Bownarra. We seem to get a little burst of flight enthusiasm this time of year. I don't know what causes it ;) ;) ;)

Offline willie

« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2020, 01:44:46 pm »
Concetrating the bend closer to the handle will give a faster tip speed. Combine with the shortest sharpest recurves.

Mike,
the bend near the handle leaves the outers relatively stiff? leaving you free to play with different amounts of reflex or various radius to change string angle/liftoff contact points.

What is the reason you recommend "shortest sharpest recurves"?