Author Topic: Rock in SE Wyoming?  (Read 2402 times)

Offline JEB

Rock in SE Wyoming?
« on: September 18, 2020, 09:52:16 am »
Anyone know where I can search for rock in the S/E corner of Wyoming or the high north middle of Colorado?
I will be just 10 miles north of Colorado for a few days and would like to bring home some rock to knap if possible. Turning a fishing trip into a rock run I guess.lol

Offline Flntknp17

Re: Rock in SE Wyoming?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 04:12:09 pm »
The area around Cheyenne to Laramie has a lot of igneous rock at the surface and I haven't seen a lot of knappable stone there.  You will find some chalcedony in NE Colorado and SW Nebraska associated with White River Group rocks, but this is probably a little outside your area.  There are a lot of knappable agates and quartzites and chalcedonies in the vicinity of Glendo-Hartville-Manville.  That's a classic area for knapping rock dating back to paleo times.  I have not seen much in the Snowy/Medicine Bow/Routt area since those rocks tend to be too old or igneous/metamorphic. 

More importantly.....where are you fishing?

Matt

Offline JEB

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 08:45:10 pm »
Well I didn't get a chance to look for knapping rock as the area was under a strong evacuation notice as there was a large fire getting larger so I fished and killed them. I don't know how many brookies I caught over the 5 days but on Thursday and Friday I caught over 50 but kept only  the 6 I was limited to and they were at least 14 inches long. Some really beautiful fish. We could not fish the other areas we wanted to because of the fire that grew to 35,000 acres by Friday and were were forced out of the mountain range because of the fire risk.  The fire is out of control right now because of the very high winds.  I fished out of Centennial Wyoming.Keep these folks in your thoughts.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 11:05:05 pm »
That one is called the Mullen Fire, the one just south of it in Colorado is the Cameron Peak, now over 124,000 acres and the 3rd largest in state history, and growing!  That area is my old hunting ground!  Glad you had some good fishing up there.  We moved from that region this summer to SW Nebraska.  Lots of smoke this past week from all of the fires west of us!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline JEB

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 06:11:42 am »
That's it Hawk, the Mullen fire. We had smoke half way across Nebraska on Saturday on the way home. I really feel for the folks that live out there.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 08:57:14 am »
next time your there at least all the rock will be heat treated! no smoke down here yet but we've had smoke from people burning fields.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 09:32:50 am »
I got a picture of the sun at about 2:30-3:00 Saturday afternoon over by Sidney, just a red dot in the sky!  We were under red flag warnings all weekend, still have 15-20 mph winds but the smoke seems to be gone - for now!  The Front Range along I-25 is getting it again, though.  Some friends are coming out from there to get some fresh air!  But I have to go up there on Wed. on business >:D (lol)!
I will look for some rock when I can get out into the creek beds and hills to see what is sticking out!
JEB, pm me your address and I will send a small box of Boulder County chert from a purported Native gathering deposit that I gathered.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline JEB

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 09:16:51 am »
This fire headed south to Colorado and went from 5,000 acres to 106,000 acres. Guess we got out of there just in time. WITH NO ROCK.