Author Topic: So, I did something ...  (Read 5217 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

So, I did something ...
« on: September 19, 2020, 08:22:04 pm »
Last weekend I co-hosted a Bushcraft USA event here in the Black Hills. Too much wood smoke, good food and drink and I made a deal by the light of glowing embers under a moonless sky.

Monday morning came and I remembered the bargain struck under dubious circumstances.

Here's what I brought home:
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: So, I did something ...
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 08:35:40 pm »
This is a Connecticut Valley Arms .50 caliber Express Rifle.

From what I hear, the rifling is 1:48, so it is not suited to heavy charges under a roundball. Fast twist like this is likely to "strip" the rifling and cause terrible accuracy. I will have to see by progressively building larger and larger charges to see what comes of it. However, I have read some people have had better luck shooting saboted modern muzzleloading bullets, something I am loathe to do at this juncture.

I have also heard that the gun was not well "regulated", meaning the barrels are not set to converge at a set distance from the gun where the single set of sights can be adjusted. I guess I am not taking this gun to shooting competitions where the need to punch the center of the target is super critical....more likely I will be happy to be able to hit a pie plate sized target at 50 yards 10/10 with one or both barrels. This could be a happy little hunting gun for heavier cover if that were the case.

If not, I shall put on my pith helmet, monocle, grab up my trusty double rifle and pretend to be hunting hephalumps and tiggers in the darkest jungles of the world!

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 10:41:15 pm »
Ohhhh what a beauty! For your query, id suggest you may have the best luck in the 100 acre woods.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 06:55:53 am »
All the TCs are 1 in 48, they handle a round ball very well. I have a TC .50, it is very accurate with 75 gr of 2F, a .490 ball and .015 ticking, it does have rather shallow rifling.

Offline Mike Yancey

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 07:41:10 am »
I'm anxious to see how it shoots for you!

Offline chamookman

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 02:14:08 am »
Nice  :OK ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 12:26:43 pm »
The only way to find out is set her up and let 'er rip!  Sand bag well, and fire a group with each barrel on separate targets, then on the same target.  Hopefully, both barrels will like the same load.  The extra barrel should help with recoil.  Eric's load sounds good, I have used 75 gr 3Fg.  Post pics!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 12:27:33 pm »
Btw, nice!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 04:49:53 pm »
The only way to find out is set her up and let 'er rip!  Sand bag well, and fire a group with each barrel on separate targets, then on the same target.  Hopefully, both barrels will like the same load.  The extra barrel should help with recoil.  Eric's load sounds good, I have used 75 gr 3Fg.  Post pics!
Hawkdancer

I've never been the fool for heavy loads, even my long barreled .50's get fed 70 grains of powder and do very well with that.

I did find a dozen or so maxi balls that I cast long ago and discarded. Those will have much more lead to rifling contact and are supposed to fly fairly well, too.  Should I need a more brute force shot (heck, I might find an elk tag some time, who knows?) that should help a great deal.

Now that grouse season has opened, that's all I have on my mind. I need to make myself understand that there are months of season, I can take a morning to get the measure of these two barrels.  I will be sure to take some photos when I do.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2020, 12:52:46 am »
Try a 25-30 grain load of 3Fg to start.  A stout elk load with bullets would be 85 gr 3Fg.  I have some .50 cal bullets cast up if you need more.
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2020, 07:59:01 am »
Try a 25-30 grain load of 3Fg to start.  A stout elk load with bullets would be 85 gr 3Fg.  I have some .50 cal bullets cast up if you need more.
Hawkdancer

Sure, send me some of those cast roundballs....I am down to only about 470 from the last time I heated up the pot and broke out the mold!   >:D

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2020, 10:57:58 am »
Got bullets and round balls, but have to double check how many of each.  Pm me your address and what you need.
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Stoker

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2020, 12:25:31 pm »
Nice little rifle. Be a good camp defence weapon. 1 "Warning shot" next one for the bear. Bring it to every shoot and gathering. Someone will have the campfire smoke blow in their direction.  :OK
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2020, 01:14:47 am »
Nice little rifle. Be a good camp defence weapon. 1 "Warning shot" next one for the bear. Bring it to every shoot and gathering. Someone will have the campfire smoke blow in their direction.  :OK
Thanks Leroy
[/quote
The cost of powder and lead is too high for a "warning shot" - not real sure where that concept came from!!   On the other hand, my pistol is also .58 cal, if the rifle doesn't stop them.  If I have to shoot them I want to be sure they stay shot!
Hawkdancer
Jerry