Author Topic: W splice question  (Read 1380 times)

Offline sleek

W splice question
« on: September 19, 2020, 10:50:25 pm »
I'm gonna splice some billets and need to know if 4 inches is good enough length for a w splice and if 1.5 wide is wide enough?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

bownarra

Re: W splice question
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 11:31:21 pm »
I make mine 3 3/4" inches long so that you don't see the points under the edge of the grip. 1" wide is enough. A well done splice is very strong. A v- splice is good enough for a handle splice but I prefer the W. What matters more than the configuration is that you get a very good fit without the need for clamping to close any gaps. Also don't clamp too tightly, that is the number one reason they can fail.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 09:09:52 am »
I make them even shorter at 2 1/2" but I'm pretty sure all of mine have been backed which totally changes the game.

Offline HH~

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 11:55:37 am »
The longer they are the more they will be in your upper and lower riser. Depending how your setting your shelf it could matter a bunch. I have found 3" is plenty even for heavier bow weights. Made a bunch longer and shorter and have settled on 3'.

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline kbear

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 01:56:41 am »
I've been making mine 4" and lengthening the handle a to hide the splice under the grip. If I can get away with 3" though, I'm going to do it! I have some shorter billets I want to maximise working limb length on. I go the extra mile too, and bind the splice with linen twine, then coat the binding with gelatin glue. Talk about paranoid. I'm going to do 3 Inches from now on. I have a set freshly chased, my shortest bow yet. Billets at 29", making for a 54" bow with a 4" splice. Now a 55" bow with a 3" splice. Just waiting on a new band for my saw to arrive........

Good question well asked Sleek!

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 02:29:34 am »
Thanks guys for the replies. Now, if someone could post a pic of a 3 inch splice blue print i will be on my way :)
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Markus

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 03:51:25 am »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 07:20:04 am »
I make Z splices 3 1/2" long so the splice is hidden under the handle leather. I almost always glue on wood to build up the handle which strengthens the splice even more.

Offline Flntknp17

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 08:37:46 am »
I've been making mine 4" and lengthening the handle a to hide the splice under the grip. If I can get away with 3" though, I'm going to do it! I have some shorter billets I want to maximise working limb length on. I go the extra mile too, and bind the splice with linen twine, then coat the binding with gelatin glue. Talk about paranoid.

.....That isn't paranoid  ;D .....I typically wrap my splices in a VERY tightly wrapped layer of modern bowstring material and then glue.  Once the leather is on, you can't even tell it's there and I have a lot more confidence in it not injuring me at some point!

Matt

Offline HH~

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2020, 11:44:07 am »
Eric is on it. You need to have at least .750-.800 wood in your splice. Then, add you cap on belly side. If your go less than that you'll get some defection into those lead edges of the handle cap in fades. The more meat you have in billets for the full length riser will be the better.

Shawn
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2020, 04:50:28 pm »
The bow in the above picture is a limb replacement of a previously spliced bow, that is why the splice looks so wide.