Author Topic: Sinew backed Osage ... shoots better upside down! Any ideas?  (Read 2805 times)

bownarra

Re: Sinew backed Osage ... shoots better upside down! Any ideas?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2020, 03:01:06 am »
My advise is to stop shooting your bow upside down! The true upper but lower when upside down limb is bending too hard. You will induce more unecessary set by doing this.
If it were me I would rework it to bend more in the outer limbs.
Your issues are almost certainly arrow spine.
you can 'cheat' spine if you have some loooong boo shafts :) Make them 40+" and you just have to have them stiff enough. This is why a lot of true primitive arrows are longer than the drawlength. As you use arrows closer and closer to your drawlength spine, tuning etc becomes much more important.
Arrows can bend the brain some times :)

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2020, 10:26:44 am »
good advice (SH)

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2020, 06:19:33 am »
  Tommy, check your alignment...This may help?

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,63133.0.html

Make sure, absolutely sure you have the right spine on your arrows...You look under spined in the video from my computer...
Way to much oscillation there...Deflection looks beyond maxed out right at release...Broadheads would magnify this flight into a possible curve ball...
                                                                                                                    Don
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 06:31:02 am by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2020, 10:06:39 am »
Thanks everyone. I have started with a 78# bamboo Bare shaft 32 inches and a 160 grain point. It’s coming off very nock left. Going to slowly shorten it till she comes off straight. Beginning to think even those full length carbons are also weak spined and I’ve been going the wrong way to fix the problem. I think they are about 65 spine equivalent. Will keep you posted.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2020, 08:42:58 am »
thanks Tommy,, looking forward to seeing it shoot great for you,, I dont do alot of bare shafting,, so if you getting it shooting with some feathers, you can always fine tune with bare shafting too,,dont worry it gonna shoot,,
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 09:01:26 am by bradsmith2010 »

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2020, 08:23:43 am »
I have had to flip the bow around to get good arrow flight on occasion. These days I make the limbs the same size and do not cut in a shelf expressly because of  that. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2020, 12:46:59 pm »
I have had to flip the bow around to get good arrow flight on occasion. These days I make the limbs the same size and do not cut in a shelf expressly because of  that. Jawge

I believe you! I started with a bare shaft bamboo arrow at 65# spine and it was coming off the bow nock left. I have shortened it and shortened it. I thought I was getting somewhere. It even went nock right sometimes when I shortened it enough. But no matter what I do it comes off the bow nock high. I have moved the nocking point ridiculously high and low and it still comes off the bow mostly nock left and high. I have tried three fingers under and Mediterranean. It doesn’t seem to matter. And none of the shots are consistent.

I flip the bow around and every arrow, carbon, long bamboo, short bamboo, high foc, low foc seems to fly like a dart. I just don’t get it! But it is just so... I thought I was going mad ... but I’ve truly tried it all...

One of the quirks of self bows I guess!

I think I am going to stop over thinking this!

I am going to take Bownarra’s advice and get my outer limbs bending a bit more - but beyond that if she wants to shoot upside down I am just going to accept it!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 12:50:14 pm by Tommy D »

Offline DC

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2020, 01:13:55 pm »
You are in the Southern Hemisphere aren't you? ;D

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2020, 01:40:59 pm »

... you think it could be the Coriolis effect...

;D ;D ;D

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2020, 01:43:28 pm »
ok just a long shot,, please try  putting more pressure on your top finger,,

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2020, 02:06:17 pm »
As in draw the string back with more pressure on the top finger... or push the top finger more against the arrow?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2020, 02:12:38 pm »
draw the sting back with more pressure on top finger and less on third finger,,