Author Topic: Total noob-bowyer/fletcher question.  (Read 1953 times)

Offline BoisBrule

Total noob-bowyer/fletcher question.
« on: September 23, 2020, 10:52:03 am »
Sorry if this seems self-evident to anyone. I'm certain I've read it in a book at some point, but it's lost in the jumble of info bouncing around in my brain.

So, you've made your bow, it's pulling X pounds at Y draw length, everything is awesome.

How do you purchase the proper arrow for it? (making them will come later for me). length of arrow, I get. But spine? Is there a rough "spine for draw weight" rule of thumb?
"...break the skin of civilization, and you find the ape, roaring and red-handed."

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Re: Total noob-bowyer/fletcher question.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 11:08:03 am »
well, spine depends on length, weight of arrowhead, how far the arrow is from the center of the centerline of the string and all that but basic rule of thumb is a 45# bow needs an arrow at 45# spine.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 12:59:32 pm »
Generally for a selfbow you want arrows about 10# spine lighter than draw weight.
 When you buy arrow shafts the spine value on them is for a 28" finished arrow with a 125gr head. For each inch over or under the 28" you subtract or add 5# of spine weight respectively. For each 25gr of tip weight over or under 125gr you subtract or add 5# of spine weight respectively.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 02:55:56 pm »
And if you're buying carbon fiber arrows look for 600 or 700's. Cheap carbons are not usually labeled for spine so it's the luck of the draw but cheap ones are usually too stiff for self bows.

Offline BoisBrule

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 04:01:13 pm »
Thank you!

Clear as mud.  ;)

But seriously, thanks.
"...break the skin of civilization, and you find the ape, roaring and red-handed."

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 05:50:00 pm »
Just remember if you buy commercial shafts that are spine rated for 40#-45# they will make a 40#-45#, 28" arrow with a 125 grain head.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 09:56:44 am »
Generally for a selfbow you want arrows about 10# spine lighter than draw weight.
 When you buy arrow shafts the spine value on them is for a 28" finished arrow with a 125gr head. For each inch over or under the 28" you subtract or add 5# of spine weight respectively. For each 25gr of tip weight over or under 125gr you subtract or add 5# of spine weight respectively.

I am pretty close to this also. I shoot a 55# bow and use 42# shafts with 125 grain heads.

Bare shaft test one before fletching at 10 yards. The pay attention to the nock kick as they explain and sand the center if you need to lower the spine
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."