Author Topic: Arrow woes  (Read 1106 times)

Offline sleek

Arrow woes
« on: September 23, 2020, 06:18:53 pm »
I just made up some bamboo arrows. I bare shaft shot them at 10 yards, took the ones that were inside a 5 inch group, and fletcher them. Then shot them with good flight. Then I put broad heads on them and the arrows won't hit straight, they wag through the air, hitting with nock left and right. The broadheads are around 25 grains heavier than the field points if that helps at all.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Arrow woes
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 08:50:08 pm »
Adding 25 grains up front will make the arrow fly like it is spined 5# lighter spine.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 09:34:53 pm »
Adding 25 grains up front will make the arrow fly like it is spined 5# lighter spine.

Thanks Pat. I will go out there and short draw it  and increase the draw one inch at a time to find its sweet spot, then mark each arrow that  way.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 05:32:59 am »
If you have the extra length you could try shortening them a little bit at a time till you got good flight. That would stiffen the spine back up.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 06:25:17 am »
Don't adjust your draw to suit the arrow, adjust your arrow to suit your bow and your style of shooting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline HH~

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 06:46:49 am »
Ai t that the truth Pat. Arrows are just tools if the archer. Keep playing with them until they shoot. Most or cane arrows shoot totally different with broadheads for me. Ieven try to use my hunt arrows for anything but hunting. If your getting a big wag (arrow paradox) you got underspined arrows!

My rule is same as the oldtimers. Shoot a slightly stiff arrow for hunting. Never was there more wisdom said when shooting wood shafts hunting. If your arrow is way weak but shoots ok with broadhead when it impacts you quarry the arrow Wags bigtime. What happens? You loose major penetration.

I almost always shoot a spine or two up and add weight up front. Same setup works for most my hunt weight bows i shoot.

Good Shooting

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 09:16:25 am »
Many folks consider the bow as the most important aspect of archery when in fact the bow is only the propulsion device and any bow will shoot an appropriate arrow well but not every arrow will fly from any bow. To me the arrow and understanding the dynamics of arrows is way more important for a good shooting set up.
Learning to make good arrows is a lot of work but absolutely necessary for good arrow flight.