Author Topic: End of an era  (Read 1243 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

End of an era
« on: September 27, 2020, 06:29:29 pm »
I have always been a bow a making stuff packrat. I decided I wasn't going to make many BBOs in the future, I have made over 50 of them in the past,  I gave my excess stash of bamboo to my friend Darrin, he will use it, I won't. I put back a few slats just in case.

Offline Jakesnyder

Re: End of an era
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 06:37:15 pm »
Where do you get your bamboo whole like that?

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 06:51:27 pm »
Nice looking boo. Do(did) you have a minimum node length that you would bring home?

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 08:02:51 pm »
I'm starting to worry about leaving too much stuff for my boys to deal with...I understand where you're coming from Eric.  I hope to use most of it while I can but there may be way too much for that.  LOL   I'm sure your friend appreciates your gift.
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 09:35:57 pm »
There was a guy across town that had about 2 acres of that bamboo (mandrake) in his back yard. He died, someone else bought the property and tried to give away all the bamboo to get rid of it. He put an ad on Craig's list that I saw 6 months after the fact. I called to see if it was the patch I had been cutting from for years, it was but had been bulldozed. The new owner said I could salvage anything out of the bush piles I wanted, I found the trunks in the picture and brought them home.

The sad thing is there was 8" bamboo in the patch that was ruined before I could get to it, just splintered trunks left after the bulldozer.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 09:39:09 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline darinputman

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2020, 10:43:51 pm »
Thanks again for the bamboo, I also hauled off an old ladderstand of his that I really appreciate also. I live within 5 miles of Eric but met him on these forums a few years ago. He's taught me almost everything I know about building bows and that is truly a gift that keeps giving.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 03:53:10 am »
there might be some great material for basket weaving in that bamboo
maybe you just need to drop making BBO and start a new addiction  :OK