Author Topic: Drying Tube  (Read 2322 times)

Offline jamesh76

Drying Tube
« on: September 27, 2020, 07:53:13 am »
At one time, I read something where someone used a stove pipe to dry a stave.

The stove pipe was suspended to garage rafters and bow was hung inside of it. Below the pipe was a desk light with the bulb below the bottom of the pipe.

Has anyone tried this? 

Is the light just inserted into the bottom of the pipe to get heat to rise? What watt bulb?

Estimated Drying Time

any concerns for it being too hot at the top of the pipe where its near a rafter or possible sheetrock etc?

I have couple hickory staves I would like to ensure are dry enough. I typically use osage and dont have any issue drying them. Hickory I just cant quite get low enough.

I will eventually build a drying box, but don't have the room to store it at this time. I figure I could suspend a pipe like this in a small space in the corner of my garage.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks,
James

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Drying Tube
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 08:00:53 am »
James, I've not used this method but you will have to constantly flip the bow so one end doesn't get too hot, too dry. Convection, heat rising from the bulb energizes the system to help eliminate wood moisture.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 08:24:05 am »
ok, did not think about that.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 10:01:30 am »
You can build a simple drying box with foil backed foam board and a few ceramic light sockets and light bulbs none of which are expensive.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Black Moshannon

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 11:25:24 am »
I made a stove pipe dryer that is around seven feet long. I used large industrial light bulb lamps which fit over each end of the pipe. I cut a hole in the very middle and attached a smaller piece of stove pipe into which I fitted a smaller lamp. This way there is heat coming from three sides. I made one of the lamps hinge off one end of the pipe so I can get the stave in and out. All the electric cords run to one extension cord. This gets real hot so I use 40 watt bulbs

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2020, 11:51:56 am »
Kenneth, do you use this one horizontal or vertical?

bownarra

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 12:23:22 pm »
When air temps rise the airs ability to hold more water is also raised. As RH is the ratio between actual moisture content and maximum potential water content at that temp the measured RH can go down whilst the actual amount of water in the air is the same......:)
So to help add a small inline fan and have an opening at the 'top'. :)
It will work very well when set up right.
Weigh your stave reguarly and write the progress on it.
Search for RH versus temperature EMC chart. Very useful :)

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2020, 01:44:18 pm »
I intended to keep the top open, the fan is a good idea also.  Might try it and see how it works for me.   I had though about building a box, but just don't have the space to store it right now.

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2020, 01:48:11 pm »
It can't hurt to swap it end for end every time you have it out to weigh it :)

Offline willie

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2020, 02:10:28 pm »
James, I use an old t12 2 bulb florescent fixture in the bottom of some cardboard apple  boxes. the fixture keeps the boxes  about 100-110 F. I have styrofoam around and covering the boxes. nothing gets hot enough to catch fire.  an easy way to uncover is useful, as you should check the progress of the drying frequently, especially if drying from green.

Black Moshannon

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2020, 06:13:18 pm »
Kenneth, do you use this one horizontal or vertical?

I use it horizontal. I drilled tiny holes in the sides of the pipe and put some wires through the middle of the pipe so the stave lays on the wire. I propped the thing up on some foot high props I made with some small boards. That allows the middle pipe and lamp section to hang down to the ground.