Author Topic: Tight Bond question  (Read 1219 times)

Offline DC

Tight Bond question
« on: September 24, 2020, 01:28:34 pm »
When you are using Tight Bond can you use bike tubes as clamping? I did some a while back and when I unwrapped it after a few hours the exposed glue was still runny. I'm assuming it was because it didn't get any air under the rubber but what about the glue in the joint? Does the water just get soaked up by the wood?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Tight Bond question
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 01:40:07 pm »
DC, it really dries better when it can get air. I've noticed if it gets put on thick the outside will skim over and the liquid in the middle takes forever to cure.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 01:55:43 pm »
Is that why all the "experts" on YouTube wipe off their squeeze out? I figured they were just being fuss pots. ;)

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 02:23:54 pm »
When you are using Tight Bond can you use bike tubes as clamping? I did some a while back and when I unwrapped it after a few hours the exposed glue was still runny. I'm assuming it was because it didn't get any air under the rubber but what about the glue in the joint? Does the water just get soaked up by the wood?

Flntknp17 uses TBII and III for lam bows and uses inner tube wrapping for the clamping. It seems to work very well for him, so it might be worth asking him what his procedure is. Personally, I always leave any of the wood glues overnight before unclamping them. I have never trusted them to be solid after only a few hours and my humidity is a fraction of yours. I expect the moisture from the center of the joint mostly migrates out through the wood over time, but that is just my gut feel and not based on anything scientific in nature.

Mark
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 03:38:11 pm by mmattockx »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 03:16:41 pm »
Inner tube wraps gives me a the best glue lines I have ever gotten. I get more even pressure and never too much to cause dry glue joints.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 04:42:05 pm »
I normally use epoxy for any lam but I decided to try wood glue just to try it. It's on a failed bow. I only have TB1 but I don't think that's the issue here. The only reason I unwrapped the joint I did was that it was an unstressed joint and I did then leave it overnight. The joint was fine, I was just a little concerned that the glue wasn't set properly being deprived of air.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 06:08:16 pm »
TB glues do have a shelf life.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2020, 08:19:27 am »
I usually wrap with Ace elastic bandages. It gets tight and still lets everything breath.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2020, 09:45:49 am »
TB glues do have a shelf life.
2+ years according to their website. I'll use it up before then