Author Topic: Takedown build design questions  (Read 942 times)

Offline Kidder

Takedown build design questions
« on: September 27, 2020, 11:46:38 pm »
Looking for input on a bow build that is rolling around in my head. I’d like to build a bow for my brother in law. He lives in Sierra Leone. As a result there are two requirements - it has to be a 2 piece takedown so as to fit in a suitcase to get there, and secondly the climate is extremely humid so needs the appropriate wood choice. As I see it I have two options:
1) two piece takedown Osage or yew selfbow. I haven’t built a stave bow yet (or a takedown for that matter) and my experience with staves is limited to chainsawing and splitting enough black locust and maple to last if quarantined until 2030...
2) something bamboo backed.
At the moment I’m leaning towards a bamboo backed bow but would welcome input on what would be best. That said, here are my questions...
What build would you chose?
If bamboo backed, what would make the best belly wood considering the climate?
For a bamboo backed takedown do you glue the bamboo backing on the full length bow and then cut it or do you do two separate glue ups, one for the top limb and one for the bottom?
Finally, is there any reason Perry reflex wouldn’t hold due to the fact it’s a takedown design?
Thanks for entertaining my imagination, as always! You all are truly the best!

bownarra

Re: Takedown build design questions
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 12:17:25 am »
Ipe, yew or osage for the belly.
Two glue-ups.
Reflex will hold just the same as any other bows :)
Self or lam bow doesn't make any difference - do what you please :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 08:36:33 am »
I don't know how many bows you've built but you and your brother in law would be better served if you put as few more bows under your belt first. That said I agree with bownarra about ipe, osage or yew for belly wood. I also think you be easier for you to make a bow with  hickory, hard maple or other tension strong backing beside boo. There is a lot of work that goes into a boo backing strip before you get to the glue up.
 If your brother in law lives in a high humidity area I assume he has AC and if the bow it stored in the house when not in use the high humidity shouldn't matter that much. I've lived in coastal GA and SC and now in the NC mountains and all three areas have high humidity, here in the mountains less so in the winter but high just the same. Our RH right now is 91%.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kidder

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 09:23:33 am »
I don't know how many bows you've built but you and your brother in law would be better served if you put as few more bows under your belt first. That said I agree with bownarra about ipe, osage or yew for belly wood. I also think you be easier for you to make a bow with  hickory, hard maple or other tension strong backing beside boo. There is a lot of work that goes into a boo backing strip before you get to the glue up.
 If your brother in law lives in a high humidity area I assume he has AC and if the bow it stored in the house when not in use the high humidity shouldn't matter that much. I've lived in coastal GA and SC and now in the NC mountains and all three areas have high humidity, here in the mountains less so in the winter but high just the same. Our RH right now is 91%.
Yeah this is not a tomorrow project by any means but rather a year or two out and hopefully a dozen bows back sort of project. But I really really enjoy the planning aspect of things so tend to ask a lot of anticipatory questions that are really today’s “pie in the sky”. I don’t know exactly what their RH is but I know that it’s extremely hot and extremely humid. They do have AC I believe, but they also don’t have consistent power so tend to be off the grid for half of the time most times. Thanks