Author Topic: BLO questions?  (Read 1090 times)

Offline paulc

BLO questions?
« on: September 26, 2020, 02:43:52 pm »
So in my head from when I was younger a person can thin BLO with thinner/spirits to get it deeper into the wood for a better final product. I start w 50/50 blend and get stronger w the BLO w every coat. Am I making it up that uts a "better" way of doing things?

2nd question: Once the BLO treatment has dried can I top w a non-water based poly product? This wood will soak up every once of BLO i have and not develop any kind of finish.

I'm dealing w 100yr fir flooring from the house my wife and I bought about a year ago...

TIA.  Paul

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Re: BLO questions?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 10:01:13 am »
theres a saying that when you put BLO on you do it once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month a year, once a year for a decade, and once a decade for a lifetime. BLO wont really create a finshing layer like other finishes. its just supposed to get soaked up into the wood so water doesnt get soaked up.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 05:38:55 pm »
I never liked the stuff, back when I was younger, my Marlin lever gun in 35 Rem and my Army M-14 came with a stock treated with BLO, it would wash off in the rain.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 08:02:08 pm »
yeah i use BLO on my sks and its not just a put it on and let is soak. if you want it into the wood and waterproofed you gotta work it in by hand and almost create heat from friction when rubbing it in to help it.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline JEB

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 08:47:04 pm »
I give, what is BLO?

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2020, 09:32:26 pm »
I give, what is BLO?

Boiled linseed oil.

Mark