Author Topic: Black locust ring chase  (Read 1129 times)

Offline Kidder

Black locust ring chase
« on: September 26, 2020, 08:12:09 pm »
Is there anything wrong with removing all of the sapwood on black locust and backing the bow with the very first heartwood ring? I find chasing a ring in tight ringed locust nearly impossible...thanks in advance!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Black locust ring chase
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 08:56:09 pm »
Most folks use only heartwood for locust bows. Locust is quite strong in tension so with a good, clean back no backing is needed.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kidder

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 09:12:23 pm »
Most folks use only heartwood for locust bows. Locust is quite strong in tension so with a good, clean back no backing is needed.
Does that include the heartwood ring directly below the sapwood?

bownarra

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 12:28:08 pm »
Any ring will do.
The trick with ring chasing (when you get 'lost') is to find the deepest spot and work out from that. Learn how to properly raise a super sharp burr on a good quality cabinet scraper and go slowly :)
Using some walnut stain will also help to show up the different rings as will a good strong light source.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 02:33:39 pm »
I usually go with the first good ring, whether it is the one right under the sapwood or not. Chasing one ring at a time helps keep things straight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kidder

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2020, 11:10:58 pm »
Thanks guys - answered my questions!

Offline bassman

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 03:07:00 am »
My best results with Black Locust is to treat it like Osage on the back chasing it down to the first good heart wood ring. My staves had nice thick growth rings which made it much easier to do. I also trap the back,and heat treat the belly.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 07:07:37 am »
+1 with bassman