Author Topic: Bolts question  (Read 1894 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Bolts question
« on: September 27, 2020, 12:07:14 am »
I am only slightly smarter than a rock when it comes to cross bows and associated bolts - so this is a multi part question:  1: is there more or less, a standard diameter and length?  2.  Will "natural" shafts hold up to a modern cross bow?  3.  How is a broadhead point aligned with the rails for safety and accuracy?  4.  What sources are available for materials to make bolts? 
A friend said he lost one of his bolts " out that away" >:D, and I would like to make him another traditional bolt or a set.  Also, I am considering getting qualified to teach Hunter Education here in Nebraska and cross bows seem to be popular and training is required!  Btw, minimum legal pull is 125# for big game here.  Also, very smokey haze right now - too many fires west of us, come on, wind!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: Bolts question
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 03:32:19 am »
Natural materials are fine, medieval crossbows with 1200lb draw weight still used wood shafted bolts

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 11:42:04 am »
I held off any more answers to allow more knowledgeable folks to answer. If you check an archery supplier you should be able to check out the length bolts are supplied in but I expect there are standard lengths, probably around 14 inches.  I imagine broadheads are aligned to lie horizontally
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 02:53:56 pm by stuckinthemud »

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 12:48:25 pm »
Anyone had luck with traditional crossbows? I made a few proto types, but wasn't committed enough to build a great prod, much less a decent set of bolts.  Maybe that's why the thing never shot straight.  It was a lot of fun though.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 01:05:16 pm »
There should be a good number of plans and patterns available!  I'm still working on self bows!  But with the new saws in the shop wanting to be used, I may start a traditional cross bows bow, depending on availability o f materials.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 02:02:25 pm »
I've built a few, they are really addictive.  Haven't mastered them by any means and the learning curve is STEEP!  15th century marksmen could hit a 6inch diameter circle at 100 yards without using sights,  if I ever hit a 12 inch disk at 40 I'll be very very happy ;D
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 02:15:03 pm by stuckinthemud »