Author Topic: Railroad Spike Hawk Head  (Read 3701 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Railroad Spike Hawk Head
« on: September 27, 2020, 08:21:47 am »
  Asked Kevin during the Summer for another one of his Hawk Heads and he told me when it cooled off he would be turning some out...I am happy to report that he's a man of his word and didn't forget...This one is a class A job and I will keep posting progress as I put a pole in the hole...Thank You Kevin!
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Railroad Spike Hawk Head
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 08:22:45 am »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 10:06:47 am »
I have a RR spike hawk that a friend made for me and I love it. Like yours I had him leave the head on it so I could use it for a camp ax as well as a throwing ax. Nice work, Kevin.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 10:51:49 am »
I'm having a hard time believing how well centered that hole is. Great job!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 11:39:21 am »
I understand that there are 2 different types of RR spikes, one for straight runs and one for curves. The one for curves is harder and has more lateral strength but I'm not sure if that matters when it comes to making hawks.   (f)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2020, 01:10:36 pm »
  I've read the same thing about railroad spikes Pat...Don, Kevin has this spike dialed in and I can't wait to pole it up...I made a case/sheath for the last one he sent...http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,44219.0.html

« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 05:09:33 pm by burchett.donald »

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 01:15:41 pm »
There's enough carbon in a RR spike to hold an edge? Beautiful forge work, as noted that is super difficult to get the hole dead even in the center of the spike.

Mark

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2020, 06:32:30 pm »
I understand that there are 2 different types of RR spikes, one for straight runs and one for curves. The one for curves is harder and has more lateral strength but I'm not sure if that matters when it comes to making hawks.   (f)
[/quote

pat.

i only use spikes marked HC in raised letters on the head for high carbon.
i treat the cutting edge in brine .

Don
im sure you will do a great job finishing that hawk out.
i cant wait to see the what you come up with.
Kevin

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2020, 03:27:36 pm »
Beautiful Hawk. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good