Author Topic: Pilot holes  (Read 1643 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Pilot holes
« on: September 27, 2020, 01:26:52 pm »
The last few times I have tried drilling holes for screw-in points the drill bit has wandered off a fraction of a mm resulting in the hole being off centre. I use a spur bit in a hand-crank drill and I centre punch the shaft to posotively locate the spur. Would I be better off using a HSS bit?

Offline DC

Re: Pilot holes
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 01:54:23 pm »
I think it's impossible :D The hard/soft rings just steer the bit. I use my metal lathe and even with everything chucked up close the rings will sometimes steer the hole off course. Maybe drill the hole first and build the arrow around it ;D

Offline artcher1

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 06:28:13 am »
You might try placing a short snug fitting piece of aluminum shaft with an insert over your shaft and use the insert for a guide......Art

Offline pumarchery

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 07:47:35 am »
This is probably cheating haha, not very primitive (tho looks that way in end product) but I use Arrow-Fix and their t-tips, with which u drill in hole for the tang of the tip in center of shaft (they also have nocks too)

It worked out despite my light handicap, cuz I have their Arrow-Fix t tip drill guide and I put the spinning drill in a vice for drills (u can order it from em) and then I push the shaft on the spinning drill into the guide, holding with both hands your shaft to ensure good results.

Even with my Essential tremor, which is shakey hands like parkinson but less intense, I get the holes right.
Don't be afraid to get some additional tools or workplace things to help. While Arrow-Fix is mostly a arrow footing/repair tool, I liked using their points, the drill vice and the 'guide bit' as it really has helped me get it right (tips on snug and straight) already more often; despite the challenge of ma hands shaking like I've been drinking too much haha. Whatever you do, much luck crafting, I hope you find a fitting way for u!

- Michael
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 07:57:04 am by pumarchery »