Author Topic: Hunting with the Hedge 2020-21  (Read 72287 times)

Offline HH~

Re: Hunting with the Hedge 2020-21
« Reply #120 on: February 27, 2021, 10:04:26 am »
Gonna bust out "Half a Holler" out today for a run at the PSF at Buck Holler today. I ran it at TO a week or so ago and with Dan's scoring system on his practice course it ran a 245 for 25 targets with two balls and the long shot. looks wet and soggy out there today but temps are in mid 50's.

Was out shed hunting and around some old homestead locations in the woods there are daffodils already flowering on SW exposures. So, it wont be long til I will be turning over the garden and mixing in the potash from the fall I put in it. Keep that club root out the soil.

Always like this picture. Last load out from 2013. 2.5days of packing meat out.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline HH~

« Reply #121 on: February 28, 2021, 09:37:34 am »
Well, took the" Halfa Holler" bow out to the Pre Spring Fling and she did not disappoint. In fact, that broke repaired bow laid down a monster score for a wet nasty day with just some oil rubbed on her. In fact is shot better than one of the nations top Longbow shooters by 20pts. Even he was surprised that little ol busted bow shot so good.
Great shoot, saw all boys and girls after the long hunt season. Good times for all and plenty whiskey jugs laying around Sat morning so it must of been a fun nite.

HH~
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 09:03:05 pm by HH~ »

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline HH~

« Reply #122 on: March 03, 2021, 08:12:12 am »
As it turns out that 355 at the PSF was good enough for Silver. Even if I had hit the steel turkey bonus at 41 target it would not have put me in the gold. Some really huge scores at this event with 12's as a high and bonus points all over I guess its like a NBA game. I will say the shoot thru the trees and trick shot obstacles took a beating. Never saw a course littered with bust arrows, feathers and nocks laying near almost every target. Wild stuff for the two hunnerd and sixty some odd folks who attended I guess. I loved not breaking a good cedar shaft.

Huntin the Buck Holler with "Halfa Holler" was good.

Shawn~

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #123 on: March 03, 2021, 12:55:14 pm »
Well done Shawn!
In the woods I find my peace

Offline HH~

« Reply #124 on: March 03, 2021, 05:57:49 pm »
First shoot of yeAr. Was more like exhibition shoot than a IBO target setup. Most of the shots i would never even take the Selfbow off the hanger if a little doe came by. The Quarry deserves more than a ricochet and no penetration. Just not representative of large game shots for most part. Great practice for squirrels and rabbits. Fun to do this once in a while.

(SH) :G

Shawn

Offline HH~

« Reply #125 on: March 04, 2021, 10:51:46 am »
South Dakota Elk brow tine semi drop point skinner out of an old Johnson 12' tapered file. Just mocked up currently, has bubinga highlites. Still have to give to Pappy to reheat and then go in over for hardness. Makes me almost wanna go pig hunting right now!

v/r

Shawn~

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #126 on: March 05, 2021, 08:46:15 am »
Nice, going to have a good fire going today, got one to heat treat myself.  :) the little half of that same file. :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline HH~

« Reply #127 on: March 05, 2021, 05:37:27 pm »
Armpit deep in kitchen tearout. Gotta a fire breather watchin me too!

HH~

Offline HH~

« Reply #128 on: March 08, 2021, 08:56:33 am »
Pappy heat treated this blade for me right quick on Sat. We shot a round. Then chewed for fat  and talked story for a bit.

I did put that knife together on Sunday morning as Mark E came by and we glued up his bow. Then, glued up this Semi-Drop point. Man, Pappy put the mojo on this blade cuz it is sharp after just one session on stones.

Shawn~

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #129 on: March 09, 2021, 08:54:06 am »
Glad it worked out Shawn, felt like a very good temper to me, love the handle work, should do the job very well. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline HH~

« Reply #130 on: March 10, 2021, 08:49:55 pm »
Had the Super Pyramid out. Bow is a shooter. Playing with some shafts and weights. Its a hummer for sure. No noticable changes after 50 shots in speed or brace. Should make a very good 3d bow, expect big things out of it.

HH~

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #131 on: March 11, 2021, 09:45:55 am »
Why is it called a super pyramid?

Offline HH~

« Reply #132 on: March 11, 2021, 08:04:06 pm »
Cuz of the way it pyramids on the tips.  For it's draw weight its a rocket. Has some other very unorthodox dimensions in middle of bow. Like a brick with two limbs sticking out. Just coming into its own now.

May run it up in KY Fest, H. Hill then Mid America to get a read on it.

I just named it Super? Like the Monster in Super 8.

HH~

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #133 on: March 11, 2021, 10:28:04 pm »
I didn't know if it was a special kind of pyramid you made and they were called that. What was the monster called in super 8?

Offline Parnell

« Reply #134 on: March 12, 2021, 11:07:20 am »
That is a very cool handle design for competition, Shawn.  Interesting how you worked that out.  How wide is your limb coming out of the grip?  Also, what’s going on with that additional Walnut looking piece?

1’—>1’