Author Topic: Hunting with the Hedge 2020-21  (Read 72300 times)

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
Re: Hunting with the Hedge 2020-21
« Reply #165 on: April 23, 2021, 06:31:33 pm »
I see, maybe I should get the raw stuff and try tanning it myself.

Offline HH~

« Reply #166 on: April 26, 2021, 11:53:48 am »
The Gary Davis Express bow is finished for the 23rd Tennessee Classic. Just have to shoot it in and check final weight. Then i will shoot it for score at the biggest bow show on earth this wkend.

Weather is bluebird sweet, cool morning and high 70s in late afternoon.

Weylun and his son rolled in Sat and bunch came in today!!

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #167 on: April 28, 2021, 12:54:30 pm »
This is my latest round of arrows, 31" 600+ grains  I used the last of my primaries and the first of Shawn's.  The other feathers will go on some pine shafts, or maybe more ash arrows.  They shoot straight -- when I can manage to aim a 70lb bow  ::)  Splitting and sanding those quills was a pleasure by the way, they work very well :)

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #168 on: April 28, 2021, 07:29:10 pm »
I dig it, looking sharp tradecraft
In the woods I find my peace

Offline HH~

« Reply #169 on: April 29, 2021, 09:03:04 am »
Those are sharp looking. Hope these folks here in Tenn figger out what they going tp do to help turkeys recover from this nest predator and and varmint scourge. Wont be no turkey pot pies or wild fletching if they dont.

Update form the Tennessee Classic Had about 20-25 selfbow challenge folks signed up and working already. Weather been really nice, couple showers Wed. Today Thursday we have a big band of storms going to come thru at 0700 or so. Maybe showers on Sunday but Friday and Sat will be high 70's. I would say Tues -Wed had the biggest crowd and campers I have ever seen. Bottom was full on left side and right side was getting 50% by Wed at 1400hrs.

Only one guy wearing a mask that I saw about like last years IBO in JULY.  So, let the Bow Games begin.

HH~

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline HH~

« Reply #170 on: May 01, 2021, 08:13:08 am »
Wow

The folks really socked into the farm!! Never saw a Classic like this!!! Friday at Twin Oaks was as I thought it would be. . . . . a massive bow blow out.
Had to be 600-700 folks there. Not a lick of room in bottom, people parked all down the hill to cabin. The top was packed. May have to cut a hole in fence row further down by Leo's salvage to put in another entrance and exit to get folks out?

I figger there be 1000 easy today! Sat will be the biggest under blue skies and 80 weather. Just an unreal hillbilly ho down of bow making bliss.

HH~

Offline HH~

« Reply #171 on: May 02, 2021, 08:56:12 am »
Well Sat was a blowout record at the Tenn Classic. I know there was over 800 Registrations which shatters record and have Sunday shooters to go. What a great event and gathering. Just a Bow Bash to remember the 23 Classsic.

HH~

Offline HH~

« Reply #172 on: May 03, 2021, 11:24:58 am »
Well, the 23rd Classic is in the books. Spent most my time under the Tin Tues-Sun building bows, laying out bows, sawing bows. Saw a bunch of old friends and met some new ones. Very pleasant time with just great weather.

I had the great pleasure to help build a very nice 64" Hickory with some folks from Alabama. Katie, her dad TJ and her boyfriend Johnny. A outdoors family who bow hunts and loves to turkey hunt there. We had a grand time and Katy turned out one nice 35-40lb Twin Oaks Pignut hickory selfbow. She happens to be a high school English teacher so we got to speaking about her doing a article in PA about her adventure at the 23rd Classic which we should see some time in the future with photos as her schedule permits.

Good to have met Ryan, Bob and Weylin and his boy. Good the see James after his move back to NC and Davy. Of course good to see Kurt and Steve and we will get together in July back at Twin Oaks.

I did finish the Gary Davis Express 69" billet bow 42@27". Shot well but I do not have it dialed in quite yet. Tough to shoot after building 4-5 bows from blanks in just a few days. Stinging and unstringing 1000 times gets ya I reckon.

Good Shootin
Hedge~

Offline HH~

« Reply #173 on: May 04, 2021, 10:12:34 am »
Well, the "Gary Davis Express" the bow I made for the 23rd Twin Oaks Selfbow challange got a real finish on it now. Came out very well and I am happy with way it shoots 575 grain broadhead arrows. I declare it ready for the range or the woods.
Get a pic up soon.

Shawn~

Offline HH~

« Reply #174 on: May 04, 2021, 12:58:28 pm »
Here it be, the Gary Davis Express billet bow. Built it in a few days at the 23rd Tennessee Classic out one fat billet cut in 2018-19 then belly split. So, they are what I call step sister billets (they sat one above the other in tree). Nice Tenn wood for around these parts. Has 200-250 arrows off it and holds 1.5" of natural reflex. The photo of the group of arrows was shot from 12-27yds over flat terrain. Enjoy.

69" 42@28"
16 strd 8125

Offline HH~

« Reply #175 on: May 04, 2021, 12:59:41 pm »
more pics

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #176 on: May 04, 2021, 01:50:53 pm »
Well done Shawn . I like it . Good to here of the success of the classic.  Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline HH~

« Reply #177 on: May 04, 2021, 02:54:54 pm »
Yep
You woulda thought it was Chinese year of the bow Saturday nite with gong banging, banjo pickin, flute playing, jews harp boinging, war drum thumpin. Everything from hardscrabble hill folk to rainbow people and every inbetwix. Purty fun. Like Woodstock with everyone carrying a weapon. I liked it!

Offline HH~

« Reply #178 on: May 06, 2021, 10:31:19 am »
Making some salt water flys for my son in Maui. Summer is when the balls of sardines type fish come in. These oughta do the trick.

HH~

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #179 on: May 06, 2021, 11:22:36 am »
Interesting, My brother does flies, and they seem to have an equally exotic repertoire of materials as PA!