Author Topic: Hunting with the Hedge 2020-21  (Read 72280 times)

Offline HH~

Re: Hunting with the Hedge 2020-21
« Reply #180 on: May 06, 2021, 04:28:16 pm »
Grew up tying flies. My father was good. Fished in Upper Dam in maine where the greats fished . . . Joe Brooks, Lefty, where Carrie Stevens had her house and tied the Gray Ghost streamer smelt copy there. Big Brookies and big Landlocks and later they put Toog in.
They yanked that dam now and The Pool is gone really. Spent many a day in a Rangely wood boat, No motors were allowed in there. Hunted it starting in 1979.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #181 on: May 06, 2021, 05:47:05 pm »
He talks about those all the time, I guess that is what I sound like to them when I talk bows ...  :D
His latest endeavor was to tie 100 pike flies for a tackle store.  Those fish are plague here.

Offline HH~

« Reply #182 on: May 08, 2021, 10:35:35 am »
Static Hickory left over for the Classic. Surprised it did not sell? Putting some underlays on it of wild black cheery. Should make a hecka nice bow.

Hedge

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline HH~

« Reply #183 on: May 09, 2021, 07:57:02 pm »
Call this bow 23rd Classic   Left-Over's

Prolly the best chunk of hickory that was in the pile. Weylin needed some hot water to flip a bow. So. I got a 15gal pot going and grabbed a hickory I had floor tillered and put some small static hooks on it. That was Friday maybe or Thursday (not sure). No one bought that static, I adopted it and threw it in truck. Think Greg B had some small pieces of zerba wood from making knife scales that I cleaned up and tossed on this thing with some cherry underlays.

Looks good so far and should make a nice bow as did all the others I did at the classic. This was a good pignut tree.

HH~

Offline HH~

« Reply #184 on: May 10, 2021, 03:15:34 pm »
First brace at 4.5", letting it sweat a bit feeling that heavy weight on wood. Like to come in super heavy on the statics. had one I made a long time ago come in in 15lbs light as I came in. Just have to go slow and start heavy heavy.

Left Overs is right up the middle and should make a nice heavy or medium no frills meat rig.

HH!

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #185 on: May 11, 2021, 11:19:50 am »
You make some nice bows hedge
In the woods I find my peace

Offline HH~

« Reply #186 on: May 11, 2021, 04:07:18 pm »
Just a left over but it was a nice chunk of hickory.

Out to 15” and 60lbs with 6” brace. Upper limb is starting to show effects of hrowing straight for 60yrs and now being told to bend over.

Time for some dry heat and bees wax.

HH~

Offline HH~

« Reply #187 on: May 11, 2021, 08:51:29 pm »
Thanks  A. T.

Just a meat bows. Made to take a pounding in the woods or Mts. See how it turns out since it is not a bow yet but looking ok. Gave the upper limb some heat on a form. Let it sit over nite before I string it up. Want to see how the heat effecticated the limb as compared to what the lower was showing. If it really flipped tiller after letting it sweat a while at brace height I will smoke the bottom limb, then let it set again and look at bow strung up. No hurry for Left Overs. Slow is good. Like we used to say when we were doing Room/BLDG Clearing and executing Urban Ops "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast".

Shawn~

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #188 on: May 11, 2021, 09:13:41 pm »
I first heard that in the movie "shooter" and loved it, my wife hates when I say it.
In the woods I find my peace

Offline HH~

« Reply #189 on: May 13, 2021, 08:50:58 am »
Here is Left Overs after a little heat and then scraped back into shape at brace height. String tension is very high at brace I noticed.

Hedge~

Offline HH~

« Reply #190 on: May 16, 2021, 12:09:49 pm »
Left Overs is best served up hot!

Prolly the highest string tension hickory I have ever put my hands on. Pulling around 55 @27 now. Will likely peel some more weight off slowly. Put some sealer on everything but the belly. Oil from your hands just stains the heck outta this pignut. Mass weight of this bow is extremely low, light as a feather. This be 600-650grn arra slinger if it makes it that far along.

Hedge H.~

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #191 on: May 16, 2021, 07:09:35 pm »
Any way you look at it that is a mighty fine job of bowmaking.

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #192 on: May 17, 2021, 12:11:12 am »
That came out really nice Hedge. Hickory makes a great durable hunting bow. I can see that one making meat come October.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline HH~

« Reply #193 on: May 17, 2021, 08:50:44 am »
I shot it with some 50-55's and 190's on the front Steve. Shoots straight but at its current weight its a beast. I think its pulling more than 55@27. 41-46@27-28" is where I like em. So, if I'm wet and cold I know i can put a BH where I want it out to 30yds. Any more weight that that for me and I have to limbered up up to get one arrow where I want it even if i'm froze out. Elk or moose hunting I have a really nice 54@27' Hedge Apple that holds 5" of reflex and is a rocket with a 600grnr.

So, I may scrape a little more and reheat inner third on upper and think about it. Got sealer on the back and grip and can play with it as long as it stays dry out.

Thanks for takin a peek. I take some pic's when Left Overs is hot ad on a plate.

HH~

Offline HH~

« Reply #194 on: May 17, 2021, 05:33:24 pm »
Well, Left Overs already has a story to tell.

Got a call to come help Mark B. to put some pump seals in this morning, Monday. My wife came and got me from garden to tell me he called.

I had Left Overs on on bed of her Ford as I was look at brace profile. Got my stuff together and took off for Pappy's house. After I was there about 45min, 10 min drive there my wife calls me and says "yer bow you were working on is in the street"! I said "what the heck"? Then realized it was on the back of truck and she usually never goes out on Mondays. I said "is it still strung"? she says "yes".  She had run out to Wall World for something.

We finished up on pump and i got home. Funny. . . . Bow had been run over twice in front of the house. two different tread patters on it. Had bad compression marks down same side and one tip was dinged up but it was in one piece. The upper limb took the brunt and I could see the tiller was off.

Got a wet towel and a hot iron and pilled a bunch of compression dings out. Shelf radius lip was munched but for prolly 4 tons of vehicles running it over it looks like a bow still. Not sure if it Left Overs and more or Run'd Over? Better than Runn Oft.

HH~