Author Topic: Hunting with the Hedge 2020-21  (Read 70848 times)

Offline HH~

Hunting with the Hedge 2020-21
« on: September 28, 2020, 06:36:32 am »
28 Sept 20

Did not hunt much opening weekend. Sat three times for a few hours total. Saturday nite was a great evening. We sat off a bean filed had 7 deer toatal come by to feed. Weather was really superb with a SW breeze and 65-70 dergees and a big orange sun setting in west. I could see the large USA Flag off the top of the church nearby. Was good to be in the stand in a free land.

Good hunting
Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline HH~

Re: Hunting with the Hedge 2020-21
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 06:47:04 am »
Some of the bucks working this stand location. Will pull card before this cold weather pushes in and update whats going on in that section of woods.

Shawn~

« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 06:52:01 am by HedgeHunter »

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 05:53:07 am »
Some of my favorite hunts I never drew my bow. It’s nice just to enjoy that sunset and all it brings with it.
I’m sure you will be connecting soon.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline HH~

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 06:17:38 am »
29 Sept 20

Heavy dew on everything and 46 degrees this morning. Sounds like its raining in woods. Rubber boots for sure. Walked a mile thru golden rod milkweed blackberry etc like i went for a swim. Deer were coming off beanfields and i bumped some going in. Moon was up early so im sure deer were gnashing and tearing up beans as they quickly turning yellow.

Have about 400ac of standing dry corn that needs shelling and until it is complete these deer will not do into their normal Fall feeding habit. Can hope this cool dry week it will be gone. Well, let me get back to it.

Good Hunting

Shawn~

Offline HH~

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 10:53:12 am »
Pics from last couple days.

Shawn~

Offline HH~

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 12:52:01 pm »
30 Sept
clear, high pressure 50 degrees for morning sit with SSW winds picking up to 10mph once sun sunrise. Walked in and climbed a 15" Walnut in a small hill cane ticket on slope of what I call Ray's Ridge. Ray used to sit in a natural hill cane blind we built for him there. I have not hunted there since he passed last August.

Got set up about 20 feet off top of slope, on low side about 15 feet. So, about 0615  while to dark to shoot I could hear a deer coming a long way off side sloping the ridge and moving steady. Got right near me and I gave it one doe grunt and scared the bejesus out of it. It kept right on moving like it had date with to an unknown white oak. Could feel the cool air slowly slipping to NNW off slope like I hoped it would.

After 90 minutes and sunrise i peered over to the north on an old two trac Ray and I cut there is a deer coming along and stops. I can see his head and bases of antlers but not much more. He needs to keep on coming. I stand and grab the 2020 HH 45#28" and turn. Buck continues on two trac to the little opening we made. It's a forked horned buck. I immediately tell myself, "not going to take him, not that in need of the red meat". He turns left broadside at about 6yds under and i tighten the string with my split finger Rod tab i customized. Thought "jeez, it don't get any better. Nope, don't start lyin on yerself". I let down slowly. Man, the sight picture looked GOOD! Counted Coup on him like my forefathers.

Long time ago I use to use that tool to keep me calm. Tell myself  "not shooting that deer" especially if I saw a goodun coming a long way off. It works well and a good method l to file away. I did get a pic off him at 15yds when I "baaaa'ed" at him after he was well upwind.

Very nice morning in the deer woods couldn't be more please with the mornings events.

Good Hunting

Shawn~

Offline HH~

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 09:58:02 am »
01 Oct 2020

Huge moon this morning, 50 degrees, zero wind. Not ideal for hunting but had hoped to catch some deer returning to bed in River bottom. Walked the 3/4 mile to bottom and deer were right near my tree location. They went on down and I think crossed river.

Upon sunrise just some cool air sinking off the ridge, still no wind but no deer movement either. Very pretty day and unusually temperate weather this m again with more predicted.

This was this HHer bow's first trip to the River so she got baptized as I crossed to have a peek on this gravel bar.

Shawn~

Offline HH~

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2020, 11:11:31 am »
01-02 OCT 20

To finish October 1st hunts. . . .  Went out with my Ranger buddy I have hunt with for 15-20 yrs last evening. Full moon, WNW winds to 19mph and did not hold out much hope doing any good work. He had knee surgery then two more after first since Aug 4th so he can hardly walk (with cane), So, took him to a stream crossing he likes that leads to 350 plus acre cut corn field. We took one of my SOF Yeti nets and worked all week making a first class ghillie net 10ftx5ft with stripped burlap and some other stuff we used making Ghillie suits in service. Came out really well.  Dropped him off put his chair and net up in good favorable wind and let him have at it.

I hunted a good ways from him and it got late so I climbed down and moved to his location and he was gone? I found him hobbling in head high grass and weeds. Said he had just shot one. A quick scanned revealed a white belly on creek bank. So, even a pegged leg can get it done on ground up close!

02 Oct 20

40 degrees, no wind and I am at my place. Great morning feels like Nov out! Enjoying the hunt when about 0730 I hear all kind splashing in creek behind me. Peek around tree and coyotes are running up and down on gravel bar about 6 incher deep. That about sealed it for me. Gig was definately up. These critters got to be dealt with. Hope I can wait til cool weather or I will take rifle or shotgun  out and do some early calling.

Scouted my way home to see what crossing the deer are favoring right now on creek.

Good Hunting

Shawn

Offline HH~

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2020, 10:18:42 am »
03 Oct 20

40 degrees, clear, zero wind.

Had "Hind Tit" in one of my favorite stands this morning. Slow early then i saw a deer moving thru off to my west. They were going by me so I pulled out the doe grunt and gave a small series of nudge grunts. Two small deer come running right to me. I'm looking for the big deer, no big deer. Musta got harvested already. Deer wandered around my location and finally decided to take one.

Deer was about 15yds and a steep angle. Button head was on bottom side of old stock pond earth damn 30ft below me. Hit it middle off back and drove arrow down and out brisket. Broadhead was stuck in ground and snapped when it ran. He went about 25yds and fell over.  He was essentialy pinned to the ground.

Good morning and great weather.

Good Hunting

Shawn~

Offline HH~

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2020, 03:22:15 pm »
04 Oct 20

Got a call for tracking help this morning. No Mas, no deer either. Narrow is the path, hard is the way. That's selfbow hunting at it's best.

I'm shutting er down until I hit the high country of Idaho and Montana. Getting squeezed for time and plenty chores. I will say I hunted a bit more than normal early season with these 40-70's temps. Just really nice bow hunting weather.

I may get a call for more help before I go wheels up but if not you fella's shoot straight.

Good Hunting

Shawn~

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2020, 08:41:03 pm »
Congrats on you deer Shawn, hope to see you before you head out, I guess you still want to borrow my tent ? Haven't heard but you know you are welcome.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline HH~

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2020, 07:00:54 am »
Just to of us going into Elk Camp now. So, tent is ok for two. Will be down later to pick up ice blocks. Loading truck and will get on the road early Friday.

Kid i taught to bow hunt killed a really good buck last evening at 10yds. One of the bigger deer I have seen in a few years here in Tenn, looks like he may have been going on the down side of maturity which is nice to see. Most deer around here never seen maturity. Looks to be in the area of 180 dressed. He was not swelled in neck yet however. Just looks solid.

Shawn~

Offline HH~

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2020, 07:24:37 am »
12 Oct 20

Been on my way a few days now. Easy drive not much traffic. Made in to my friends farm on the Missouri River in Yankton, SD. Stayed in his cabin on bluff over looking it. We caught up on some stories and talked story into the night right around the bend from where Lewis and Clark camped here.

Next stop was my hunt buddies ranch near Rapid City inthe Black Hills. Stayed in his pole barn with dog and wood stove. Whitetails all over his cottonwoods bottom here.

Tonight im camped Over by Columbus , MT right on the Yellowstone River in a big cotton wood flat of 79 whi b runs to the Absoraka’s  Crow county. Nice cold night. Stopped in Bell Fourche, Billings. When i went by Little Big Horn Battlefield i could see the flag flying onthe ridge, i looked over coming down hiway 212, nice Pronghorn Buck Standing with Last Stand Hill behind him.
 Thought that was a neat scene coming down the hill.

Be in my elk camp by last lite.

Good Hunting

Shawn

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2020, 11:50:45 am »
Dude I love this hunting journal
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2020, 12:35:23 pm »
+1 its fun!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.