Author Topic: Hunting with the Hedge 2020-21  (Read 70854 times)

Offline HH~

Re: Hunting with the Hedge 2020-21
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2020, 08:53:06 am »
Good Eric. We all have to make adjustments. My eyes are sure not what they were. I can still shoot a tang peep sight. Need to get one for this Hawken. Still shoot peeps on all my springfields etc.

I shoot bow like shooting a peep sight anyway use shaft as front sight and string as rear. At selfbow ranges its like shooting CBT pistol really. Long as i can see and pull string I be OK. Only shot 3 arrows this fall and squeeze one set trigger. Figger I can do that when I'm 80.

No hunt day. Will hunt Sat evening. Going back in for this buck I'm  after.

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline HH~

« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2020, 08:02:23 am »
15 Nov 20

65 degrees front just went thru 40mph winds and rain. Cooling now. Will hit it tonite.

Went to my fiends farm with buddy from T Oaks last night. Put him a good stand. He had a show for sure. think he 18 out in front of him most the sit. They came in until after legal shooting light ended. I could see some looking down off hill a few times. those were all I saw. Warm evening 70 degrees and west sun was hitting me. I almost busted a bead!

Think we cut/butchered deer everyday except yesterday. Was good to finally sleep in to 0600hrs this morning :).

Good Hunting

Shawn~

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline HH~

« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2020, 06:26:21 pm »
15 Nov 20

55 degrees and very windy. Was set by 1300. Saw two deer walking in bedded in sun on leeward side of hill in golden rod scrub. My tree was swaying a foot either way. My bow was rocking on the holder but arrow held fast on shelf.

At 1615 i see the same buck i saw other morning cruising on leeward side of ridge below me. Nice 6x4 chocolate colored buck. He was moving purdy good. Glad to see him in area again. Well worth the 4 hr sit.

Heading for river botttom in the morn.

Good Hunting

Shawn~

Offline HH~

« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2020, 07:35:16 pm »
16 Nov 20

Frosty morning. Whitetail rut in full glory. Bucks chasing all over. Was fun to watch. Had a 1.5yr ild doe come by twice. On her second pass she gave me a shot at 15 or so yds. She was hard quarter away. I drew and shot. Arrow looked high but i heard a loud Whack. Saw arrow flip up broken. Saw no shaft sticking out of the deer? Upon getting down i saw both sections of arrow. Clean miss. Was happy about that.

Was a short morning as it got warm quickly. Saw plenty deer. Great bright morning.

Good Hunting

Shawn~

Offline HH~

« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2020, 08:10:03 pm »
17 Nov 20

0500hrs, 41 degrees, wind NNW@3-5mph

Went down to my my good friends farm to hunt for the morning which is about 20 min away. We walked in about a mile or so to a spot on a small ridge. Leaves were fluffy and ankle deep going in with clear skies above. he dropped me at stand location and continued on.

We both were set by 0550 as it started to get gray in the east and the wind picked up a bit as I could hear the stubborn red oaks holding there leafs start to rustle with this north wind. Was still dark when the first deer went by. I thought I might outta stand up early and stay standing for a few hours as anything can happen and happen quick this time of year. Was not standing more than 5-10 mins when I hear a deer coming to my south and closing fast. I look to right of my tree and make out a buck cruising right at me. I see there is no way to shoot on that side of tree. So, I will have to spin and duck my safety line to get in position on left of tree for a shot thru a small hole between a beech and the red oak the stand is in. As I turn I drag my boot on the metal platform and the buck stops in the shoot window and looks right at my direction. To late, as I have bow now at full draw and have the spot picked. I send the 600grn arrow with a 190grn point the 12 yds into his left flank. The arrow sinks deep into his side as he wheels and runs over the ridge outta sight.

I think wow, that happened in a flash. It's only about 0620 and sun has just risen. I text my buddy of the events and get down very quietly and check the hit site and if there is immediate blood. Yes there is, a hiway of blood heading down the draw. I creep back to stand and wait.  Before long my friend comes back up the trail and I relay the events. I say "i'm purty sure I heard the deer go down not far down in the draw".

We both ease down the blood trail slowly and sure enough about 50yds there is the buck expired in the morning sun under a small beech tree. So, we ended our hunt rather early and walked off the ridge. As we did we ran into a big doe with five bucks following her up where we had just come from. We stopped to watch them and they never even paid us any mind as they slipped up and out of the draw. Good to see deer doing deer stuff after you have taken one out of the herd.

Heck of a morning I shall not soon forget.

Good Hunting

Shawn~

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2020, 04:25:32 am »
Yep great time for sure, I will have some stories to tell also and pictures up soon. Congrats Shawn nice deer and great shot, 140 lbs 105 inch 11 point.
Love it when a plan comes together. ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline HH~

« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2020, 06:59:28 am »
Yes, it was an adventure not so far from home.

Thanks Pappy

Shawn~
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 07:02:31 am by HedgeHunter »

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2020, 11:51:40 am »
another one!!!!  (A)
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline HH~

« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2020, 08:47:56 am »
21 Nov 20

Got my friend in my tree this morning. Says a nice buck is just just across creek. He better keep his head on a swivel. Stuff happens fast in that stand. Ground 40lbs of burger mix other day. That makes it about 115lbs of burger ground so far. Adds up fast. Wife made two Hackbratens last nite in bread pans. Im ready for supper already.

Good Hunting

Shawn~

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2020, 07:09:01 pm »
Man you are having a good season, congratulations. I always enjoy others success
In the woods I find my peace

Offline HH~

« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2020, 07:12:55 am »
25 Nov 20

Day off. Raining and storming with a southern flow. Seems to me the rut here is about 10 days behind a normal temperant year. Purty sure sure there will be good rut activity thru Jan in central Tenn. Lots of time to take some doe off these big herds here. When your seeing 20-22 doe and yearlings this time of year before they start grouping back up you have a big population. The good new is I have taking care of that in my area for a number of years and the bucks i see every of the last four years are more and better.
I went out my friend from my Army days, we soljah'ed together in several places and humped some of the same worldy terdholes together. He is missing a knee right now (failed replacement) has a spacer in there. He going krazy inside so I took him out hunting. Wouldn't ya know he kills a biggun. He was always like that.

Was one of those days where a herd of bucks were trailing one doe. Some close some and some sneaking in far behind. Like buzzards circling a bone pile. Was a sight to see. Saw big one horned bucks, really big broken up bucks, small ones, and some very very good ones. Was like a Buck Rally. Also saw a Bobcat go right thru middle of the circus. Good November day.

Good Hunting

Shawn~

Offline HH~

« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2020, 09:51:47 am »
29 Nov 20

0600 30 degrees 2 mph wind ESE. Slow early then it was ears, legs and eyeballs for 2hrs straight. Saw 17 does and younguns in one group. Thought I had these doe under control. Guess more work is needed. All in all saw about 40 somethin deer and only one spike buck. Deer movin left right and center between 0730 -0930hrs. Was not a boring morning. Not one within selfbow range for me. Gotta love to that though.

Good Hunting

Shawn~

Offline Woody roberts

« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2020, 04:01:55 pm »
That’s a cool rack!

Offline HH~

« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2020, 07:17:03 am »
01 Dec 20

Cool and clear, 25 degrees 1mph wind W

Nice morning, some snow in woods on logs and scrub. It flurried all day yesterday. My friend who works for the CCFD was driving around on calls last nite and told me deer were everywhere in open area's. I was going to hunt but I have to get online to purchase my ID elk tags for next fall. Thy cut tags so it will sell out today for GMU I would like to to hunt.

Cant believe its DEC 1st already. Guess that's not a bad thing as we can get these Virus Vaccinations and get on with getting on. I want to get down to Texas and hunt whitetail maybe in Feb or axis deer. Want that vaccine first however. Its all good, been a great season here in TN ever after spending three weeks in the high country. Not done yet but it gets tuff here on out.

Goof Hunting

Shawn~

Offline HH~

« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2020, 07:27:34 pm »
06 Dec 20

Out tonite with Raksh 46@26 64.5@ ntn on its first hunt. Had my friend shoot it other day at 26” with broadheads, looked like all double lung hits to me.

Warmed up a bit with gusty West wind. Deer are cleaning out scrapes again and some new rubs here and there. Bucks still looking for doe to come in season. Should puck up in next week or so.

Gets tough in late season. Had a rifle hunter across creek shoot right behind me at last light. Gave me an eye opener that the bang bangs are still out here too.

Good Hunting

Shawn~

« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 08:22:59 pm by HedgeHunter »