Author Topic: Hunting with the Hedge 2020-21  (Read 70843 times)

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
Re: Hunting with the Hedge 2020-21
« Reply #195 on: May 17, 2021, 06:46:03 pm »
Who drives over a bow in the street? :o  Good thing it wasn't stolen though.  Would you fix the tiller by exercising it back to normal? If the limb geometry is still be the same I would think stress would still be even, right?

Offline HH~

« Reply #196 on: May 17, 2021, 08:34:56 pm »
Just glad the kids did not fall riding bike or scooter over it. Wife said she thought it was a stick. Said she could not see a string on it. If was Osage it would have been splinters for sure. That hickory just got serious road rash and has dimples on it now. String it up in morning and see if i got Runn Oft like Homer Stokes.

Road kill Left Overs. . . . . I have eaten that too.

Hedge~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #197 on: May 18, 2021, 08:13:12 am »
Yep we ate some of that last year, :) waste not want not. :) Sorry about your bow but thanks for the help, maybe it will be OK, Hickory is tough for sure and it might just work out,then you will have another story to tell, love bows with history and good stories behind them. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline HH~

« Reply #198 on: May 18, 2021, 08:37:31 am »
Yep, Turns out lady across they way saw it laying in road. Never thought it was anything but a stick. She said, it was Trash Truck that got it for sure but did not know if a car got it too.

Got string back on it. Still right up the middle and just under 50lbs I had to scrap off some wood. Not a wonder why they sledge hammer handles and roocker chairs out this hickory.

HH~

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline HH~

« Reply #199 on: May 19, 2021, 09:59:52 am »
Putting some target shafts together. Need to grind a few more feathers for this set of six. 4" for target.

Still finishing the Left Over's.

HH~

Offline HH~

« Reply #200 on: May 20, 2021, 07:08:49 pm »
Left Overs couldnt hack gettin runned over by the garbage truck. Dan pulled it one time and bang right where it was crushed bad on upper limb.

think in will get a nice hickory BBQ fork outta the lower limb!

(-S

HH~
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 07:41:00 am by HH~ »

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #201 on: May 20, 2021, 09:32:17 pm »
To bad, I wonder if rawhide or combed linen could have saved it? 

Offline HH~

« Reply #202 on: May 21, 2021, 07:43:38 am »
NaH, ten tons of trash truck was to much for it. You could see where I had to remove wood off that edge it was taking set and it had checks I filled with BSI SG. More where that came from. Just a hunk of wood.

HH~

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #203 on: May 21, 2021, 10:16:18 am »
I have given away a ton of freebie bows, sometimes a limb would fail and rather than make the guy a whole new bow I would splice in a new limb and get them shooting again. The owners always loved their bows and I didn't have the heart to tell them to trash it so I fixed them even though they were a freebie.

Offline HH~

« Reply #204 on: May 22, 2021, 09:07:16 am »
Alas, Left over got canibilized. While i was waiting for some moose horn tips glue to set up I took the lower limb off Left Overs and since Pappy had backstrap steak to go on grill for lunch. I quick made a 20” hickory grill fork.

So, left overs turned our meat and came in handy. Nothing left after that tasty lunch.

HH~

Offline boomhowzer

« Reply #205 on: May 22, 2021, 10:05:12 am »
Wow, that was quite the saga. Beautiful stick nobody would buy built into a noble bow, only to fall off the back of a pickup. Mistaken for a regular stick, the poor thing gets run over by a garbage truck, dies in the hospital bed, and is resurrected as an extraordinary meat poker. A noble profession for an old broken bow. Much more fulfilling than kindling, and lord knows no honest bow limb wants to become a back scratcher or a chew toy for a dog. This honorable stick deserves better. Maybe after its flipped its last steak it will live out the rest of its days as a tomato stake or a high quality shim for shaping future bows. Thanks for posting such a delightful story :)
Bellaire, MI

Offline HH~

« Reply #206 on: May 23, 2021, 08:28:56 am »
Yep, my fault but when Dan M. pulled it back and it cracked his eyes got big. He was not to concerned as he only shoots glass.

The Left Overs Grillin fork still has the HH logo on it and should have a good life sticking deer meat as it was intended to do.

HH~

Offline HH~

« Reply #207 on: May 24, 2021, 11:41:25 am »
Left Over fork is on Pappys last page in “Life is Gud” thread.

Hickory is gud!

HH~

Offline HH~

« Reply #208 on: May 26, 2021, 11:51:19 am »
Just finishing up a 68" 25@28" Hedge bow for the reigning Womens World Selfbow Champ USA and H. Hill top shot both 2020. Bow came out well. Holds 3" of reflex and chunks a 5/16ths arrow with 70grn point thats heavily tapered. Just put some sealer on and twisted up a 12 strand string for it. I expect big things out this shooter/bow combo!
Hard to build a good performing selfbow that is long and light weight of pull. They carry so much limb weight out of Hedge Apple. Used some less dense hedge that took reflex very well and it's purty thin. Shoots good to 30yds with these little arra's.

HH~
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 08:51:30 am by HH~ »

Offline HH~

« Reply #209 on: May 26, 2021, 06:05:00 pm »
The new one for that shooter.

HH~