Author Topic: Hunting with the Hedge 2020-21  (Read 70847 times)

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
Re: Hunting with the Hedge 2020-21
« Reply #210 on: May 26, 2021, 07:17:08 pm »
Kinda dangerous to take pictures on the truck isn't it? ;)
In the woods I find my peace

Offline HH~

« Reply #211 on: May 26, 2021, 07:26:10 pm »
Very. Guess i lived that way for a long time and will never take the easy path?

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline HH~

« Reply #212 on: May 27, 2021, 09:05:44 am »
Put some sealer on new bow and took it over to the owner and watched her shoot it and fit grip to her hand. They girl can shoot. She said this bow has about 12" less drop at 25yds than her other. So, I guess this will go into her #1 bow spot? Get finish on and she will be off and running to H. Hill and Cloverdale with it in a few weeks. Will get some pics of bow here soon in AL and IN.

Shawn~

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline HH~

« Reply #213 on: May 28, 2021, 12:43:17 pm »
Waiting for rain to pass then take some pics of this new bow for ya all. I may have to do it at farm cuz I need to get steppin here soon.

Here's four Hedge bows at the BY Shootdown. I am purty amazed at how her bow shoots. I had my new one which is a clone of Sherrys bow but at 41lbs. The two 24 arrow shootdowns I got her by just a few points and she got me by a few on the second. We shot 24 arrows per round from 10-25 arrows on very small 3d's. Great Comp practice.

HH~
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 08:07:40 am by HH~ »

Offline HH~

« Reply #214 on: May 28, 2021, 08:18:08 pm »
Turned over the new bow. Was a real treat to watch her shoot it from 10-25yds. One hecka good shooter. I purty sure she can shoot it in against any glass longbow female shooter out to 30yds. Had a big smile on her face after she shot a dozen or so arrows. She siad it shot quicker than her 25lb Bob Lee white wing. I was very surprised when she back out to and just past 25yds and was lating en in the small babooon 3d target.
She how she fairs with it for Howard Hill. She has a full week to dial it in and then up to Cloverdale.

HH~

Offline HH~

« Reply #215 on: May 28, 2021, 08:20:20 pm »
The rest. Like the way those moose horn on tips look now. Did not at first.

Hedge~

Offline HH~

« Reply #216 on: June 03, 2021, 08:58:32 am »
Guess I will see this bow in action at the H. Hill this weekend. Had a little thunder storm just after dark last night. Filled my pool over skimmer for third time in 24hrs. We got plenty June rain and its just the 3rd.

Get packed up and hit the road soon. Suppose to be great weather in Bama for the weekend. Gonna be a good time. Think since last weekends shoot at Farmland was not a huge turnout that H Hill will get a bunch of folks out to shoot.

HH~

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #217 on: June 04, 2021, 10:00:01 am »
Back when it was bigger and I was able to attend there were 70 people in the selfbow class at the Hill Shoot.

Offline HH~

« Reply #218 on: June 04, 2021, 04:00:43 pm »
Whats considered a selfbow here now is a miss mash of things. Wont be that many for sure Eric.

HH~

PS: Sherry won National with her bow at Cloverdale. She really shot well in the finals by all accounts!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 08:20:10 am by HH~ »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #219 on: June 04, 2021, 08:18:44 pm »
Any natural material bow qualified back then,  bamboo backed, tri lam or anything else.

Offline HH~

« Reply #220 on: June 05, 2021, 08:09:48 am »
Yep
Think a guy could take a hunk of mullberry cut it full length 72” then lam it all back together with a glue on riser block and call it a selfbow. Be straight as glass, cut past center, be light and fast made outta mullberry and dang near indestructible with all those glue lines in it. See how long thats called a selfbow? Prolly take one season to be cancelled, tossed out or rules rewrites across the board. Right now you could shoot it about anywhere.
Think i have some mullberry some wheres.

HH~

Offline HH~

« Reply #221 on: June 07, 2021, 08:59:49 am »
Had two HedgeHunters run with the best at the Howard Hill this weekend. Was a great time. Burned a huge pile of fire wood Thurs-Sat , shot my fingers off and pulled a little cork by the creek and gnawed on some Tenn whitetail kibabs  amoungst other stuff. Had a nice crown 300-400 folks I would guess. Funny I only saw one fella from Texas there? There are usually 50 of em. Maybe they cant come back if they come to Bama with Covid rules, who knows ,cuz they guy from Texas I met was headed to KY after so maybe they got some voodoo going on down there?? Either way the Tenn Patriot Crew made all home safe.

HH~

Offline HH~

« Reply #222 on: June 08, 2021, 07:30:56 pm »
HedgeHunter's did well at the Howard Hill. Hard to run with backed recurve selfbows but I gave it a go on a tough course. Was 20yd Avg with some interesting shots. Great test. I took Bronze and the new bow I made in the above pics hammered in Women's SB. I would think she will take Cloverdale as well. That's one World and two major's consecutively with gold in last three big events with her HedgeHuner. She bested me and we shot from same stakes!! Congrats miss Sherry! Hella good shooter but aint hard to beat me.

MEN’S SELF BOW ~ David Henley 238 * Brad Berg 196 * Shawn Magyar 192
WOMEN’S RECURVE ~ Kim Timberlake 261 * Sherry Magalanes 246 * Dianna Collier 216
WOMEN’S LONGBOW ~ Susan Nelson 225 * Amber Willingham 218 * Lesa Clifford 192
WOMEN’S SELF BOW ~ Sherry Magallanes 214 * Amanda Gray 128 * Val Gray 91

Hedge~
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 08:10:32 pm by HH~ »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #223 on: June 10, 2021, 09:36:43 am »
I have shot against David Henley a good bit, we would swap out wins back in the day. He is a great shot and a super nice guy (retired fireman and EMT) but his scores did go up about 10 points when he started shooting that bamboo backed recurve he now shoots.

The guy who made David's bow did make between 50 and 75 bows a month, often 12 hours a day 7 days a week, he was REALLY bitten by the bug.

I do think it is time to toughen up the self bow class as to what "is" a selfbow. They could add a  selfbow challenge like Twin Oaks in which you had to make your own selfbow, not necessarily on site but made yourself.

Offline HH~

« Reply #224 on: June 10, 2021, 10:34:28 am »
yep last year at Pappy’s  he tried, i guess, shooting those super hook recurve and boo back in SB Either it was Classic Or IBO. They told him “ nope “. He was shootin carbons it looked to me as well at HH Only backed bows finished above me cept for Sherry. She shot the heck outta that course.
She should enter Selfbow Class in IBO this year. With that new missile launcher She would be in top draw im sure.

When shotS get past 22-23yds hard to run with a good backed SB. If They let recurves in IBO SB class that’ll be The end of SB Class as we know it. Just like when IBO was shooting backed SBs against SElfbows. Not hard to figger whats gonna win than match when distances get longer.

Shawn~