Author Topic: Hunting with the Hedge 2020-21  (Read 70839 times)

Offline HH~

Re: Hunting with the Hedge 2020-21
« Reply #240 on: June 26, 2021, 12:53:49 pm »
Started some cold made Koshers. These are the best grinds ever. Fresh garlic and dill pick the cucmbers slice drop it and in the ice box they go. Last til the pickle barrel is empty.

Hedge~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #241 on: June 26, 2021, 06:24:40 pm »
I have that snaky staves twin also glued billets, I really should get to work on it.

Offline HH~

« Reply #242 on: June 26, 2021, 06:54:13 pm »
I get on it sometime. Love that two part adhesive I use. Ballistic tough, it ain't coming apart. You break the bow before that joint comes apart! I know, i have done just that.

Just cut half a big buck HQ and stripped into Jerky. Busy day. Shot bow, swam laps, pickle beets, made jerky,  picked black berries , made pickles and worked on those billets I glued up last nite.

Very breezy here for late June. Hot death wind is a blowin.

Shawn~
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 08:36:39 am by HH~ »

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #243 on: June 27, 2021, 09:14:19 am »
Curious to see how that wonky character yeller stick turns out Hedge. Looks like it's going to be a real gem of a bow.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline HH~

« Reply #244 on: June 27, 2021, 09:59:31 am »
Its real narrow 2.25”. Was just two small split off from a bunch crazy stuff we cut this winter. Half the tree was dead. These little scraps were off the dead side. About a 26” tree. Was a bunch of full length wonkies in that side of tree.
These splits had some grain run out. Was 74”, now 67-68”ish. Will need a glue backed riser added. Its ok if these scraps dont workout, i know where another sister tree is thats even larger. Get that thing out in Feb god willin.

Shawn

Offline HH~

« Reply #245 on: June 29, 2021, 04:13:43 pm »
Finishing up Jerky today. Purty hot outside. Great for drying meat. Work a little, swim a little, shoot a little, swim a little more. No to bad 91-92. Usually does not get mush more than that here. Every once in while. Gonna drop back to mid 80's soon so, all is good. Drink water, take a knee. Drive on Joe Tentpeg.

Will vacum seal this jerk soon as last batch cools down. Carry some with me to Oahu in Sept for my son. Gots to go get some waves before hunt season kicks in. Good for the body good for the soul. Nothing like dropping into a 15 foot wall of green water the size of a steam locamotive to get them adrenal glands cleaned out.

HH~

Offline HH~

« Reply #246 on: June 29, 2021, 10:43:34 pm »
!0-11lbs of jerk. That;s before it goes in smoker or dehydrator.

Think my fav-o-rite meat to jerk is Antelope. Jerked to whole dern animal before for Elk seasons when i lived out west. Good hard jerk so you gotsta chew it a long time. The speed goat flavor comes out and makes ya wanna pound up and down the Mts chasin elk all day long. Love that stuff.

HH~

Offline HH~

« Reply #247 on: July 01, 2021, 08:31:02 am »
All HedgeHunters at the evening shootdown yesterday. They shot some Good scores. Two new 2021 models and two older models. All have brought home the wood!

HH~

Offline HH~

« Reply #248 on: July 01, 2021, 10:44:22 am »
Be canning today. Beets and sweet pickle. Cool and cloudy out. Good weather for canning. I do all of ours on my outdoor gas kitchen. I shoot bow into my targets i can see when i have a quick break. If its hot i dive in pool, slip my flip floos back on and im back at the fire. Gud for body good for stomach.

HH~

Offline HH~

« Reply #249 on: July 04, 2021, 08:40:57 am »
Happy Fourth of July Patriots!!

Headed out this morning to get some blackberries. Found some great Black berry breaks and big ones over a place I hunt. Best year I have seen for them ever here in Tenn. Most years they are small and seedy. I mean there not like Pacific Northwest Blackberries but they are half that size this year. Make some jelly and some hooch. My cultivated patch has produced very well this year as well. Put in some rasberrys this year too. They should have some good canes next year.

HH~

Offline HH~

« Reply #250 on: July 06, 2021, 09:18:27 am »
Berries went in ice box. Should have enough for Jelly and some Hooch.

Heres a few shrooms. They were up on ridge tops. Have not found many in the bottoms yet. One more rain I think. If Morels are the bacon and eggs or shrooms. Chanterelles are the Double Angus Cheese Burgers.

Shawn~

Offline HH~

~
« Reply #251 on: July 06, 2021, 08:53:30 pm »
Came home from cutting grass on our deer hunting farm and had a text from my good friend Mark 1 and TO. he said "hey your in PA and they did a feature on Boo and his J Cash wood bow from Kick Ash Bows". Was cool, Katie is a good writer and teacher. Well written story of her and her Dads first Classic. Got a feeling they will be back being not far away in AL.

Hedge
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 09:00:20 pm by HH~ »

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #252 on: July 07, 2021, 11:00:31 am »
Is she the one who won all those shoots with your bow?  That bow looks a lot like one you posted recently.  What issue is this in?

Offline HH~

« Reply #253 on: July 07, 2021, 11:40:49 am »
New issue. No, thats not Sherry. Young lady from AL a school teacher. Great family and young lady. They big turkey and deer hunters.

She wanted to make a bow at The Classic. Bought a nice blank from Pappy and I pitched in a little. Made four complete bows that week including one for myself. I was purty much toasted after seven days of that. Always fun meet new folks, grab em and pull em in to HedgeWorld.

Just like we did Boo in same issue but thats another story!

Shawn~

Offline HH~

« Reply #254 on: July 12, 2021, 09:23:40 am »
Made some Zesty's other day. Gave Pappy his extra large jar of Cold Kosher's. Should last him if the boys at IBO don't get into it to hard.

Beets, last canning rodeo for them today. Then its IBO for a week.

Went to Buck Holler Sunday. Was a good shoot not many folks there on Sunday great shoot and great folks. Thanks fella's.

Shawn~