Author Topic: Red osier question  (Read 2474 times)

Offline Jakesnyder

Red osier question
« on: September 28, 2020, 04:38:33 pm »
I ordered some green shafts online and they are anywhere from .5" to 1" in diameter. Is dogwood strong enough to just shave it down to  whatever diameter I need? Is that how its done?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 04:52:52 pm by Jakesnyder »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Red osier question
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 05:41:48 pm »
When I cut silky dogwood I cut the base at 3/8" diameter. As it dries it will shrink somewhat. If these shoots are green you'll have to let them dry with the bark on for a while or they'll check. Reducing a 1" or even 1/2" diameter shoot to shaft size is a lot of reducing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 11:47:10 pm »
I think I would take those shafts to the county extension forester to make sure of what you are getting!  Can't understand selling green r.o.d/w shafts!  Never tried it but you might seal the ends to prevent/slow checking.  Btw, that thought just hit my mind, I haven't tried it yet!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline artcher1

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 05:26:59 am »
 Reducing shafts that size is a little daunting if you've never done it before. But with a little knowledge and the right tools it's not that difficult.

I never passed up a shoot that was grossly oversize if I thought it would make an awesome arrow. Often times you can get a nice clean straight shaft from oversize shoots.

But you still want to keep the pith centered and follow all the irregularities of the shaft.

I never bothered sealing the ends of shafts. I would bundle them up, and put back for about two months. After that, I'd heat straighten w/bark on. Being over-sized, they're a little harder to straighten. With the bark on, some moisture is still trapped in the shaft, and this makes straightening much easier as the steam makes the shaft more pliable.

Best way I've found to make a BIG round into a LITTLE round is to first square it up. From there you can knock off the corners and then scrap/sand to desired weight.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 05:29:00 am »
other pics

Offline artcher1

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 05:31:29 am »
(Laughing) Been awhile since I've done this.

Final product!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 06:56:06 am »
Listen to arrcher1. Art knows shoot arrows better than anyone I know.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 04:12:08 pm »
Do the areas where the little branches would come off make for a weak spot?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 06:44:37 pm »
Not weak if they are reduced smoothly.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 07:10:00 pm »
I reduce them by spinning them on a belt sander.  The strength does not seem to suffer much.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 12:36:45 am »
I sand them carefully by hand and size them through a hard maple "die".  It works for me, work is the operative word! (lol). I do plan to try the bark on straightening idea.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry