Author Topic: Bitter oats  (Read 1018 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Bitter oats
« on: October 04, 2020, 06:02:17 pm »
Hi, all.  Anybody on here know anything about home-grown oats?  We grew a big patch last summer, harvested them a little on the green side because the black birds had discovered them.  We put the grain and straw in mesh bags, and it's all been drying out on the covered deck for about a month.  Last night, the Badgerling and I threshed some of them out and got a big, beautiful bucketful of oats.  There were a few hulls we couldn't get disconnected, but mostly just clean oats.

I ground up a couple cups and made some oatcakes.  They taste terrible, with an awful bitter aftertaste that last for hours.  Anybody know what we did wrong?  We were pretty excited about this crop and it sure is disappointing that they don't taste good.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline YosemiteBen

Re: Bitter oats
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 06:25:19 pm »
I have had bitter flavor from Cucumber and potatoes. I have never grown oats though. After reading your note I googled "bitter oats", there are several articles on the topic. Interesting, learning is fascinating.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 06:35:51 pm »
I have had bitter flavor from Cucumber and potatoes. I have never grown oats though. After reading your note I googled "bitter oats", there are several articles on the topic. Interesting, learning is fascinating.

Yeah, all the stuff I googled dealt with rancid oats.  I know what rancidity tastes like, and these were intact grains, not cut or ground (or even hulled) grain.  So that isn't the problem here.  But I agree, learning is fascinating!

I know potatoes get bitter and greenish when exposed to the sun.  Happens to me all the time, because my soil is so heavy the taters grow on the surface.  Don't know about cucumbers--haven't gotten those to grow in years.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 08:32:10 am »
Maybe they didn't dry out quick enough, or how got damp and sour bacteria got them?
Trevor

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 02:18:08 pm »
Found a couple of articles.  I'm guessing they weren't cured properly or long enough.

This one talks about the old days but might give you some ideas based on the harvest info mentioned
https://www.farmcollector.com/farm-life/harvesting-oats-zm0z16novzhur

This one talks about DIY at home and mentions curing the oats after harvest
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/grains/oats/homegrown-oat-grains.htm

Post back if you figure out what is the cause.  I grew up on a farm and the way things are heading these skills may come in real handy one day.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-