Author Topic: Shooting grip  (Read 8509 times)

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
Shooting grip
« on: October 01, 2020, 06:04:24 am »
I've only ever shot a compound before and with those you rest the bow grip on the pad directly below your thumb. I wanna shoot off my fingers without an arrow rest on my self bow. How do you guys hold the bow? I've seen a lot of handle designs where it narrows towards the belly, do you hold in the V of your hand or do you guys still put it on the pad below your thumb?
In the woods I find my peace

Offline TimBo

Re: Shooting grip
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 08:40:28 am »
It varies, but I think lots of people grip similarly (pad under thumb).  Some might think of the main pressure point as more between the thumb and index finger.  Others put more of the palm down and have less of a straight wrist.  I would say do whatever is comfortable.  You can add cork or leather to your existing grip if it doesn't feel right as-is.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 11:43:22 am »
since the grips vary,, I hold a loose grip as described above, but really let the bow handle dictate the grip,, if you shoot a the bow enough, your grip will adapt as needed,,

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 08:44:28 pm »
Ok I'll play around with it. I see handle shape being more important in my future

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 11:23:18 pm »
I think the more simple the grip, the easier to adapt to it,, many great examples in Native American bows,,,

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 01:04:37 pm »
I use a bulbous grip on my bows so I use a whole hand grip with the fat part of the bulbous grip in the center of my hand.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2020, 07:41:41 pm »
Any of you shoot with no hold?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2020, 12:08:08 pm »
you mean in the shot sequence,, not holding a full draw,, ? if thats the question, I dont hold a full draw,, but when I get there I pull through the shot,, like trying to get the best of a long shot or through a chronograph

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2020, 02:17:59 pm »
you mean in the shot sequence,, not holding a full draw,, ? if thats the question, I dont hold a full draw,, but when I get there I pull through the shot,, like trying to get the best of a long shot or through a chronograph
Yes! That's exactly what I'm talking about! I like the idea of pulling through. I had originally intended to come to anchor and release with no hold

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2020, 06:20:29 pm »
since I shoot quite a few short bows too,, my anchor floats,, and I dont really need to hold unless Im waiting for the deer to step into a shooting lane,,I make the short bows heavy enough that there is no danger of over draw,,, I just draw it as far as I can and release,, knowing I am at the right draw length at that time,,

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2020, 06:29:52 pm »
I release as soon as I hit anchor. If, over time I find myself short drawing I will hold for a second or 2 for a few shots then back to release on hitting anchor.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2020, 07:08:44 pm »
I sometimes tie a string on the arrow to hit the right draw, ,till im used to it,,

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2020, 08:29:31 pm »
I release as soon as I hit anchor. If, over time I find myself short drawing I will hold for a second or 2 for a few shots then back to release on hitting anchor.
Thats what I'm going to attempt to do, how quickly do you draw

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2020, 09:43:17 pm »
I try to draw smoothly so when I hit full draw I am aimed at the same time,, not sure how Pat does it,, (-S

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2020, 10:59:05 pm »
Allyn, that depends on the circumstance. When I'm hunting and I see a deer on the way I stand, set my feet to where I think the deer is coming and put tension on the string. From this point I usually don't remember the actual shot. I'm concentrating where the arrow will go and my brain and body does the rest. On 3D targets my draw probably a second or two from start to release.