Author Topic: Arrow finishes  (Read 2149 times)

Offline StumpStalker

Arrow finishes
« on: November 13, 2020, 09:18:30 am »
Hi gang, long time. My family and I made a major move so not much time to play with the sticks and feathers! Settled in for the winter and looking to play!

I have offered to fletch up some arrows for a fellow who is super into primitive skills, and I want to do something awesome for him. I have the arrows in mind how I will build them, but finishes are something I haven’t been that creative with. I have used tung oil before, and I may use it again, but I am looking for something different. How about beeswax? Or a pitch varnish? Open to any and all ideas!

Thanks if you have any input!

Blayne

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Arrow finishes
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 10:36:05 am »
Blayne, I've used pitch varnish on some of my primitive arrows and it seems to work well. I also use it on the sinew wraps on arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 11:11:42 am »
Hey Blayne. Missed you at the Gathering. Hope the move turns out well. I grabbed the biggest hunk of Yew. Can't help with primitive coatings :D

Offline StumpStalker

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 02:53:31 pm »
Thanks Pat. Is that solid pitch dissolved in alcohol? I have methyl Hydrate, would that suffice?

Hi Don! Things are going well! I was sad to miss the gathering. Maybe I will get down next year. Kind of planning a June trip😁

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 09:23:43 pm »
Blayne, I've used denatured alcohol, rubbing alcohol and moonshine and they all worked well. Whatever solvent you use it has to flash off before the pitch will set hard again. Never used methyl hydrate. Do a test run first.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC