Author Topic: Over spined.  (Read 3242 times)

Offline sleek

Over spined.
« on: October 04, 2020, 04:53:26 pm »
If an arrow is over spined and shoots 4 inches left, should I just aim 4 inches right, or can I bend the arrow so its not straight, and bends in the direction I want it to shoot? I figure that may weaken it and make it paradox more. Any ideas?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Woody roberts

Re: Over spined.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 05:01:27 pm »
I had/have a similar situation recently. Increasing my brace height seemed to help a lot. Except for one arrow. It shoots 20” left every shot. Ive tried different points from 100 to 200 gr. I have it painted a different color so if I hold it 20” right it will land just right.

I hope someone chimes in here that knows what their talking about. I also would like to know.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 06:24:11 pm »
You can sand the center 1/3 of the arrow to weaken the spine. Bending an arrow will make it shoot worse.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 05:53:41 am »
Its a cane shaft. I guess I'm just out of luck with that arrow then.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 06:05:43 am »
You could add more weight to point. In future you could start out with long arrow that is underspined. Shoot it bearshaft and gradually shorten until you get good flight.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

gutpile

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 08:03:12 am »
if not foreshafted, do it.. you can add weight and length to shaft... even add a heavier point... but probably foreshafting will fix it...pretty simple fix..  gut

gutpile

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 01:18:00 pm »
have you checked spine on opposite side also.. can be 20lb difference... just curious.. gut

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2020, 03:04:41 pm »
What Gut said is the easiest. Flip it over and see how it shoots with the cock feather in.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2020, 04:51:04 pm »
I've done both sides. Frustrating thing is, I had it bare shaft shooting well.  Then, as often happens, I put a broad head and fletch, then it shoots like sh!# I could just over draw it a little to put some more weight into the bow.  The bow is way understressed, it can take it. The reason this is important is it one of my few hunting arrows.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2020, 05:33:03 pm »
Your shaft's straightness could have wondered on you. Maybe inspect the fletching end of your shaft closely, since that's the hardest area to check straightness......Art

Offline Todd Mathis

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2020, 09:18:53 pm »
I am late to the post, but I have been under a rock for 3 months and just crawled out.  sigh...  anyway, if your arrow shaft has a static spine which is too stiff,  you can always increase the head weight and this will help move it back a bit.  Since the arrow is spinning in flight, bending the shaft will only make it erratic as to where it will hit probably.  Were they bamboo shafts?  If so, what was the bow poundage, and what was the static spine.  Best of the holidays.  Todd.