Author Topic: eating acorns  (Read 6061 times)

Offline DC

Re: eating acorns
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2020, 10:58:56 am »
I saw a Les Stroud show the other day and he hung the bag of ground up meal in the toilet tank. The water gets changed a few times a day. I thought it was clever :) Second best to a creek I think.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2020, 02:05:01 pm »
 :o :o Maybe I don't get something, but that sounds, well, nutty.  Perhaps a five gallon bucket is more appropriate?  This is food we're talking about after all.

Offline Woody roberts

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2020, 06:18:15 pm »
Ive only done it once. Just wanted to see if I could and how it was done. Just in case I ever needed it.
White oak acorns, ground pretty fine, soaked in cold water. Changed water 3 or 4 times a day. Taste tested daily.
Don’t remember how long it took but it wasn’t a long time. Mixed it 50/50 with flour and made some bread. It was ok, not great, not bad, certainly edible if that was all you had.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2020, 12:12:38 pm »
Made a second batch of acorns flour (quercus robur).
the thinner the particles the faster the tannins extraction. it took again around 10 days to take tannins off. cold water. at least 2 water changes a day.
ended up with little more than a pound of flour

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2020, 12:19:58 pm »
this time I made a flatbread. (first time was a bread flat, this time is more like focaccia)
half wheat flour, half acorns, yeast, salt, olive oil
despite the not so attractive appearance the flatbread is very very good.
Only problem is to find the right equipment to produce more flour in a practical way
the toilet tank trick is not bad at all  :fp (lol) but i doubt it can process large amounts
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 12:31:19 pm by GlisGlis »