Author Topic: Preparing Armadillo shell knife scales  (Read 4315 times)

Offline Morgan

Preparing Armadillo shell knife scales
« on: October 08, 2020, 01:07:23 pm »
I have a question that I hope someone on here can help me with. I have a close friend that had a knife made for him and his cousin by his uncle a late very good and known bladesmith. My friend’s knife  got stolen, but his cousin still has his. My friend brought me his cousins blade, and asked if I could make him one close to it. I can and will. This friend just killed an armadillo that has been tormenting the fire out of him for several weeks tearing up his yard. He had an intense hatred for this creature. I told him there are knives made with armadillo shell scales and showed him some pictures and he wants that army possums shoulder on his knife handle. Now I have to figure out how to process it. I know you could vac stabilize it, but is there another way to make it useable? I also know about the leprosy issue, there are ways around that. You pretty much have to get raw meat or blood in your body to contract it, and a very small percentage of the critters have it. Any help is much appreciated.

Offline TRiggs

Re: Preparing Armadillo shell knife scales
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 03:32:31 pm »
Just as a side note armadillo's carry leprosy so use rubber gloves and a mask butter safe than sorry.
American Blade Smith Apprentice

Offline Stoner

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 03:35:19 pm »
I have done the shell & skin done with my snake skin recipe of 50% denatured alcohol to 50% glycerine. The shell is like a fingernail. John

Offline Stoner

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 03:37:03 pm »
I have the shell still in the freezer and was going to make a wall hanging out of it. John