Author Topic: Translucent vs opaque plastic arrow nocks  (Read 4253 times)

Offline shooter123

• UK
Translucent vs opaque plastic arrow nocks
« on: October 11, 2020, 04:16:53 pm »
Ok, plastic isn't very primitive so mods feel free to delete this thread if it doesn't fit in here.

I was wondering if the opaque plastic arrow nocks hold up better than the translucent ones? As in would they be a bit stronger and impact resistant to slapping together in the target and the occasional clipping by other arrows hitting the target?

I built a primitive bow during lockdown and have been having great fun with it and over the past few months my groupings have gotten better to a point where I'm getting a reliable group, only problem is my back garden/yards safe shooting area isn't very long so if another arrow clips a nock on the way in it has a habit of hairline fracturing it because the arrow still has plenty of energy on entry I guess. These last few days I've managed to destroy two nocks from near-robin hood shots.

Its been getting colder where I live so I wonder if that makes the plastic more prone to breaking but anyway.

Any difference in strength between the opaque and translucent arrow nocks? Something tells me the translucent ones would be weaker but I'm not sure.

Thanks!
Nock... Mark... Draw... Loose!

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
Re: Translucent vs opaque plastic arrow nocks
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 07:39:40 am »
I've only used opaque, but one of the reasons I like plastic nocks  is that their replaceable.  I've had a few times when the plastic gets destroyed, but the wood is still fine.  Self nocks would far a lot worse.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 09:14:37 am »
I prefer self nocks. I've had plastic nocks break but never a self nock. I don't shoot groups when practicing so hitting the nock is rare for me.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 01:14:28 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 11:33:28 am »
I'm with Pat B on the nocks!  I do use both, but mostly because I have had the arrows for a while.  For hunting purposes, it doesn't matter, the first shot has to count!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline shooter123

• UK
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 01:04:50 pm »
I've only used opaque, but one of the reasons I like plastic nocks  is that their replaceable.  I've had a few times when the plastic gets destroyed, but the wood is still fine.  Self nocks would far a lot worse.

I prefer self nocks. I've had plastic nocks freak but never a self nock. I don't shoot groups when practicing so hitting the nock is rare for me.

Oh thanks, well I did try cutting some nocks into the shaft but the dowels I used would just split on release. Might switch over to one of those target faces which has multiple bullseyes so the groups are spread out.

I'm with Pat B on the nocks!  I do use both, but mostly because I have had the arrows for a while.  For hunting purposes, it doesn't matter, the first shot has to count!
Hawkdancer
No bow hunting allowed in this country (UK) so I don't have to worry about that!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 01:17:10 pm »
Shooter did you put a wrap below the self nock? You can also add a spline making a reinforced self nock without wrapping even though I wrap anyway.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 01:23:13 pm »
I wish I had time to make good self nocks or splined nocks.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2020, 01:28:02 pm »
A good self nock can be made is just a few minutes. I use sinew wraps so that usually takes over night for the sinew to dry before sealing. Once you get the hang of it it doesn't take much longer than adding a plastic nock.

Offline shooter123

• UK
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2020, 02:01:35 pm »
Shooter did you put a wrap below the self nock? You can also add a spline making a reinforced self nock without wrapping even though I wrap anyway.

Hi, I'm not sure what many of these terms mean unfortunately. I think I tried reinforcing it with tape but it still broke.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2020, 04:35:40 pm »
A spline is a thin sliver of bone, horn, wood or other materials inserted into the tail end of the arrow with the self nock cut perpendicular to the spline. This is very strong and shouldn't split without a wrap.
 Tape isn't strong enough for a self nock. I use sinew but strong, thin thread like silk or linen wrapped and set in glue also works.

Offline shooter123

• UK
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2020, 05:38:53 pm »
Oh I think I've seen these used on English longbow arrows. What sort of glue would you recommend be used to set the thread reinforcing it?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 06:34:03 pm »
Super glue, TBIII, epoxy, either would work.

Offline shooter123

• UK
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2020, 08:30:03 pm »
Is Cyanoacrylate based adhesive ok? When I put my spoon based arrowheads in I used some thread I found in the garage, dampened it and let the cyanoacrylate based glue soak in. Its held so far but gives the thread a hard like texture.

Cyanoacrylate is that type of glue which bonds in seconds, gives off nasty fumes and rips skin if you get your fingers stuck together!

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2020, 08:48:10 pm »
I know self nocks can be fast, but having shot out both plastic and self nocks I know which is more consistently fixable.  this is just for utility arrows however.  I'm artist enough to appreciate good wood nocks on fine arrows.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2020, 09:32:14 pm »
That's why I don't shoot groups, each arrow goes to a different spot or I shoot one arrow at a time, retrieve it and shoot it again. Multiple arrows in a target takes away from my concentration. I have arrows with plastic nocks but now when I make arrows I make self nocks or reinforced self nocks.