Author Topic: How to stiffen natural shafts?  (Read 2215 times)

Offline eastcreekarchery

How to stiffen natural shafts?
« on: October 12, 2020, 05:56:28 pm »
I have some rose and viburnum shafts that aren’t as stiff as i like and they stay somewhat bent after a few shots. Is there a way to treat them to make them stiffer and not stay bent? Im a beginner when it comes to making natural shaft arrows. Thanks!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How to stiffen natural shafts?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 06:32:07 pm »
Were your rose canes seasoned? Were they at least 2nd year growth? You might raise the spine a little by heat treating them but if not seasoned or mature enough that probably won't help.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline eastcreekarchery

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 06:46:31 pm »
The shafts have been drying for four years so i think theyre seasoned enough. They were about 11/32 when i cut them so i think they were mature enough. I will try heat treating. Thanks!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 09:40:47 pm »
The diameter has nothing to do with maturity. I have seen first year wild rose shoots(canes) that were at least 1/2" in diameter. If the shoot had only leaves on them they are first year shoots and generally too flimsy for arrows or only make light arrows. The second year of growth small branches will grow from where last years leaves were. After that second years growing season is the proper time to harvest them for arrow shafting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TimBo

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 09:41:13 am »
Second year growth has thicker walls and less of the pithy center.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 07:28:58 am »
I use viburnum a lot.  I use heat to straighten them and they stay straight pretty well.  It also heat treats well.