Author Topic: Question On Locust Staves  (Read 6928 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Question On Locust Staves
« on: May 01, 2008, 11:09:02 pm »
Do you have to work Locust like Osage....no Sapwood??? Or just strip the Bark like Ash or Hickory???? I am not even for sure that this is Locust....just taking the Neighbors word for it..... My Wife thought it was Green Ash!!   Here is a Closeup of the Rings....can anyone tell me by this and the Bark for sure what it is??? Any help will be appreciated immensely!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

Re: Question On Locust Staves
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 11:45:56 pm »
well i cant tell you what it is.however it doesnt look like the blacklocust that my neighbor has.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 12:35:44 am »
Here either. The bark does'nt look right.  But if you saw the tree and it had thorns all over it you can pretty much bet it's some variety of locust. I may be way off base though.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 12:59:58 am »
That doesn't look like BL. Yes, you should remove the sapwood if you have enough heartwood. Jawge
http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/archer.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 01:01:41 am »
Here either. The bark does'nt look right.  But if you saw the tree and it had thorns all over it you can pretty much bet it's some variety of locust. I may be way off base though.

No thorns at all....but then there are Sunburst Locust....and they have no thorns.........the leaves were small and thin and lined up like these on the Stems

Jawge...look at the Pictrure...them are 4X4 Oaks on the Concrete....the Log is about 12 inches across....and has about one third whitewood....so thats a lot of Sapwood to remove....I sure wish I could tell if this was Locust or Soapberry.....or some other Texas Tree

« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 01:59:22 am by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 10:13:29 am »
Black locust has smalllll spines on newer shoots. Honey locust(Gleditsia triacanthos) sometimes has the huge thorns in threes poking out of limbs and trunk, but not always. It looks more like the smooth bark of honey locust and definitely not the thick deep furrowed bark of the BL. Good for making bows either way you look at it.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline snedeker

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 11:00:25 am »
Its a species of Honey locust, in the genus Gleditsia.  Differenet genus than Black Locust.  Should be good.  Remove the sapwood.

Dave

Offline John K

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 01:25:23 pm »
Looks like the Honey Locust i cut down.

This one didn't have any thorns though........
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 01:26:09 pm »
Its a species of Honey locust, in the genus Gleditsia.  Differenet genus than Black Locust.  Should be good.  Remove the sapwood.

Dave

Sure aint much going to be left if I remove the sapwood.....
                                   it will  run at least 50/50 through all of these Staves when they are worked down

2024...We Will Overcome

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 01:29:03 pm »
Looks like the Honey Locust i cut down.
This one didn't have any thorns though........

Mine didn't have Thorns either....and the Heartwood is kinda reddish too....but yours has a lot more heartwood.....mine has a Bunch of Sapwood....wont be much usable wood once all of the Sapwood is removed
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline snedeker

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 04:40:19 pm »
Well that IS some pretty thick sapwood, and it has well-defined early/late phases in growth rings with thick late growth.  You might want to try one on the sapwood and one on the heart and compare.  Whip those up this weekend and report back

Dave

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 04:47:38 pm »
Well Dave.........It may be a Tad too wet still .....dontcha think!!!!!!!!! Since I just cut her last weekend!! But I am going to try a Billet Bow with the Sapwood on.....and see if it split or not.....I havent ever had any luck with Sapwood on Osage Bows.....but I have seen them built.....Mine always split right to the Heartwood!!
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline John K

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 04:50:43 pm »
Good luck, I know on the stuff i cut the sap wood is no where as near as strong as the heart wood.. That heart wood is STRONG stuff !!
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 05:08:52 pm »
I've had that problem with BL. Sometimes you have to leave a little sapwood on. I found the closer you get to the heartwood the stronger the sapwood. Never used HL though. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 05:25:47 pm »
I've had that problem with BL. Sometimes you have to leave a little sapwood on. I found the closer you get to the heartwood the stronger the sapwood. Never used HL though. Jawge

Any Advice would be welcomed Jawge....you are a lot more experienced at this than I am... Sould I chase a Ring in the Sapwood....or just leave it like it is till it dries...and then see???
2024...We Will Overcome