Author Topic: Overdraw  (Read 5898 times)

Offline DC

Overdraw
« on: October 14, 2020, 10:48:49 am »
I'm thinking of putting an overdraw on one of my bows. I went looking for pictures and found none. I get the idea that it's a trough that the arrow runs in but the dimensions and how the thing aims at the string are puzzling me. Should it be aimed at the braced string or the full draw string or be wide enough for both. Picture   links if you have any, please :)

Offline willie

Re: Overdraw
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 11:18:57 am »
if it is aimed at the braced string, does it not align with the string at full draw?

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 11:37:34 am »
Not quite. The angle between the arrow and the bow(looking from the top) gets closer to 90° as you draw the bow. I think I said that right. If you watch the tip of the arrow as you draw the bow, the tip moves to the right. Mostly at the beginning of the draw. That angle :D

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 11:57:19 am »
I was thinking of the thing as half a tube but I guess if it was flat it wouldn't matter. I've got that picture of Karpowicz's PVC tube stuck in my head.

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 04:08:33 pm »
You must have not looked very hard.  ;) Typically they were a piece of aluminum  u channel or similar screwed into the side of the arrow area.    They are just put on straight in the side and the  width of the structure and a rest of some sort provided clearance.  They don't need to match the angle of the drawn arrow.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 04:12:01 pm »
I just spent an hour looking. All I get is siper info.
I searched for "flight archery overdraw"

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 04:17:21 pm »
The old early Drakes had the simpler ones.

Here's a link to an old bow with one fitted in a bit crudely.  Likely why it cracked at the inlet.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/paleoplanet69529/impressive-1930-s-flight-bow-t30411.html

Offline avcase

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 05:35:16 pm »
Here is one that I made for foot shooting a very heavy horn bow. I bound it to the bow with silk thread and it has a feather rest glued to a piece of wood that I can wedge into the desired position. It could be done in a similar way for shooting a bow vertically.  The extra shelf material is just there to catch the arrow if I accidentally drew it off the arrow rest.