Author Topic: Stripping feathers  (Read 3363 times)

Offline DC

Stripping feathers
« on: October 17, 2020, 11:38:21 pm »
I thought I would take another shot at this. I soaked the feather for about a half hour and then tried to strip the narrow side off. I got a great wide membrane with the fletch. What did I do wrong? It's better than I've ever had but not right I don't think.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Stripping feathers
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 07:57:36 am »
That can easily be trimmed right off.
Try putting them in a plastic bag with a damp towel. It may take a few hours but maybe soaking in water is too much.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 08:33:20 am »
I trim that off the side with a good scissors. At least if I’m looking at it correctly.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline artcher1

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 09:40:26 am »
I never had much success striping feathers myself. Never really seen the logic of gluing/taping or tieing down a flat based fletch to a round shaft either. I made a jig using a straight clamp and sandpapered doweled to concave the base. And you can sand it down as close to the quick as you want to..........Art

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 10:36:06 am »
Well now I'm torn between the two methods. I thought that stripping gave a better flatter(well, more square to the vane). My gut wants to go with Art but I've been a little chicken to grind them too close and the white spongy stuff shows. But, it looks like the stripped ones would sit closer to the shaft and be more attractive/aerodynamic. Maybe I'll experiment today.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 10:40:36 am »
That can easily be trimmed right off.
Try putting them in a plastic bag with a damp towel. It may take a few hours but maybe soaking in water is too much.

I did two feathers and did notice that the second one was a little better. I'll put some in a bag like you say. Maybe overnight to make sure they're hydrated.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 10:42:09 am »
I trim that off the side with a good scissors. At least if I’m looking at it correctly.
Bjrogg
It did trim off reasonably well but I thought it was a step I shouldn't have to take.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 11:07:06 am »
I've never had a problem stripping feathers.  I start at the back of the feather and just peel it off.  If the membrane comes off too wide I just trim it with a pair of embroidery scissors.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 11:57:42 am »
I've never had a problem stripping feathers.  I start at the back of the feather and just peel it off.  If the membrane comes off too wide I just trim it with a pair of embroidery scissors.

I guess it depends on what you class as "problems". I was always under the impression that stripping produces nice ready to use fletching. Nobody mentioned this problem. Now I find that other people do have this problem. It's just a minor issue so it doesn't get mentioned. It does move the balance between stripping and grinding though. :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 12:33:57 pm »
Over the years I've stripped and ground feathers and decided I like grinding better. Don't ask why, it's just what I prefer.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2020, 12:54:31 pm »
I just cut that part clean off. You only lose about an inch or so in fletch length.

Most turkey wing feathers are very long. If you need fletching that's 6" or more in length (for reproductions) it's better to grind anyway.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2020, 01:01:06 pm »
Grinding takes longer, but I generally use that method because the fletching is generally just a bit sturdier.  It's also easier to recycle, though ideally the arrow should outlive its feathers.