Author Topic: Making a peep sight  (Read 8454 times)

Online Eric Krewson

Making a peep sight
« on: October 15, 2020, 06:23:20 pm »
I can't see sights anymore so I tried copying a peep made and sold by Lowell Harrier, I thought it would be a piece of cake, not so.

Here is Lowell's;

My first one was too far from my eye.

My second one was too sloppy;

My third one came out OK after hours of trying to bend everything so my sights would be perfectly lined up when I shouldered the gun and looked through the peep. Of course I will file a nice round finial around the aperture, round and slick the whole thing up then brown it. My sights are fairly clear when I look through the peep.

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Making a peep sight
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 12:09:34 am »
Looks good to me!  I seem to have that same sight problem, as in seeing the darn things!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 03:01:30 am »
Nice  :-M ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 12:44:57 pm »
That's something I'll have to look into I have a problem seeing my sights also

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 05:31:16 pm »
This one actually works, it is the one posted above with all the extra metal, I still have some filing, sanding and rust browning to do.

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 09:08:49 am »
Browned, oiled and mounted, ready to try out.   I get a new hip tomorrow so it will be awhile before I will be making smoke.

Offline gifford

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 09:34:51 am »
A new hip tomorrow? Best wishes for your speedy recovery.

My wife's sister had her hip replaced yesterday as out patient surgery. When my wife had her's done 20 years ago it was a week hospital stay. Times change.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2020, 10:06:21 am »
Save your hip bone for a knife handle, Eric.
 Best wishes for your hip surgery and a speedy recovery.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 01:45:26 pm »
Good luck with the surgery and the recovery!  Do your pt and follows doctors orders!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2020, 04:08:06 pm »
I couldn't stand it and had to burn a little powder.

The peep works; 50yd, 530 ball, 80gr 2F, 2" bull I pulled the first shot to the left. I tried 3F and 1F, they didn't group as well.

Nice to be able to see the sights again.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2020, 01:07:45 pm »
Good shooting and good luck with the hip. It was the best thing I ever did when I had mine replaced. And my Doctor said I couldn't have the bone.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2020, 02:50:57 pm »
Eddie the guy who made Selway bows got to keep his finger and actually wore the finger bone as a necklace, They said no way he could have the bone, His reply no bone no pay, they gave him the bone, I seen the necklace myself, No BS. Bob

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2021, 11:16:16 am »
I bought some 1/16" metal to make peeps for several of my rifles, my old eyes can't see sights anymore.

I made this one earlier out of 1/8" stock, it was a pain to bend, especially the bend to fit the curvature of the tang. Once on the rifle it works great.

I made a prototype out of the 1/16" thick metal, easy to bend but a little flimsy. I mounted it on a TC Hawken and found the 1/8" aperture is too large for the sight distance on the TC barrel, the entire rear sight and part of the barrel is visible through the peep. On the clunky sight above I use a much smaller aperture.

The problem with mounting this sight on a TC is the tang screw is a wood screw and too much tightening may strip the threads in the wood. On the sight above the tang bolt is screwed into the trigger place so I could tighten down the peep and keep it in place.