Author Topic: Paper testing  (Read 12692 times)

Offline DC

Re: Paper testing
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2020, 08:37:53 pm »
I did try varying the draw length. When I increased the draw length the arrow hit a little more to the left but the tear stayed the same length. I'm converting the machine from holding the bow horizontal to holding it vertical. See if gravity is messing with me. There's quite a bit to it. I don't use an arrow shelf so I've had to add one to the machine. I'm probably going to have to reposition the chrono lights. I can't use the chrono facing up like normal because the paradox(I know, wrong use) causes the arrow to fly in an arc and it misses the sensor windows so I just get errors. Especially with two chronos. Outside you can stand further away and give the arrow time to settle. I'm thinking more and more that it's the cramped quarters that's messing me up.

bownarra

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2020, 01:20:55 am »
I was just about to say you really need to mount your bow vertically or at least close to 'real life' orientation. You know gravity is just a theory right?! :)

Offline DC

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2020, 07:30:28 pm »
Vertical or horizontal doesn't seem to make much difference and it will be a bunch of work to move the lights so the chrono will work that way. The tears in the paper are very similar although turned 90°. If I have it horizontal I can set it up and take it down if a moment. Not so easy when it's vertical. Like you say," gravity is a theory."

Offline avcase

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2020, 07:16:21 pm »
I am starting to think the slo-mo Video features on these smart phones is better than paper tuning. I can really see what is happening with the arrow if the background provides good contrast and the lighting and angle is right.

I was pretty impressed at how well Ivar’s arrows performed. They were very light and the spine very low. I think he Chrono tested his bow at around 380-something feet per second. The force on nock of the arrow seems like it should have caused the arrow to buckle and explode.  I’m sure it would have exploded with a finger release.  The hook & loop release he used makes a big difference.

Alan

Offline JNystrom

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2020, 01:09:19 am »
I've used slo-mo footage with phones and it sure is really good in seeing how the arrows do. And its so fast. Take a new bow, shoot bunch of arrows through it and film all. Then pick the one that flies best, easy.
I haven't tried it with flight shooting gear yet, but i'm looking forward to it.
The angle i think is best is of course straight behind the archer aligned with the arrow. There you can immediately see if the nock goes left or right.

Offline avcase

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2020, 05:54:43 pm »
I have some video taken from a perfect angle and lighting behind me of shooting my footbow and I could clearly see the arrow make a horizontal slot in the paper.  The next several frames showed the arrow continuing on its way with the nock left and point to the right, which was exactly what the hole in the paper would have told me. Each frame captured nearly three feet of travel, but it was good enough even at vey high arrow speeds.

The angle the video is taken from is important. It has to be taken directly from behind the bow. There is a rastering effect even with the high speed video frames where the image is usually scanned top to bottom.  This made the arrow appear a little shorter in flight than it actually was. But it was good enough. There is another video where it shows a perfect hole punched in the paper and the next several frames show the arrow maintaining a perfectly aligned path. That arrow was one we didn’t find....

Alan