Author Topic: What is the most effective way to “dispatch” a wounded deer?  (Read 8155 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Re: What is the most effective way to “dispatch” a wounded deer?
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2020, 08:16:44 am »
something very uncofortable to think about, but very important to think about. this has helped me a good bit. thanks.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2020, 09:47:29 pm »
shot to the head if you using a gun.

I’d say shooting them point blank in the head if using a gun or shooting them heart/lungs if shooting a bow.  Carotid artery cut with knife would be best if you can safely do it. I can tell you with great certainty, choking one out with a bungee cord is NOT the way to go...long story, but I’ll never go hunting again without a knife.  Regardless...having to finish a big game animal at close distance...no matter how you do it...is going to be an experience that will grab you by the guts and wrench your soul; there is no getting around that. 

Offline Flyonline

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2020, 03:15:56 am »
Having had to put down 2 sheep from a dog attack, and a goat stuck in a bush I'd already shot, I sure as heck don't like having a razor sharp knife in one hand and trying to hold a head still for a neck cut on a struggling animal with the other. Even the first sheep which was 4/5ths dead from blood loss put up enough fight to make me nervous: add some stress, low light/dark, difficult footing, rain/dew etc. and it's a recipe for more than one thing being cut.

If I ever have to do it in the wild I'll be shooting another arrow into the heart/lungs.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2020, 09:42:26 am »
not a fun thing to talk about, but a good thing to know. ive learned a good bit from this thread. me personally... ill probably carry a gun with me to get the base of the skull... i dont know though maybe another arrow would be the cleanest and fastest... i just feel that if i wound an animal, ive first of all failed to give it a quick clean death and it still deserves the quickest dispatch i can give it without causing it horrible amounts of distress.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2020, 05:28:20 pm »
not a fun thing to talk about, but a good thing to know. ive learned a good bit from this thread. me personally... ill probably carry a gun with me to get the base of the skull... i dont know though maybe another arrow would be the cleanest and fastest... i just feel that if i wound an animal, ive first of all failed to give it a quick clean death and it still deserves the quickest dispatch i can give it without causing it horrible amounts of distress.
[/quote
A quick coup de grace is honorable, however, double check the state and federal  regs.  It is illegal to carry a firearm during archery season here in Nebraska.  During rifle season, you can hunt with any legal weapon.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2020, 08:00:51 am »
Same here in Alabama, you can concealed carry during bow season for self protection but can not legally use your firearm to dispatch a deer unless it is during gun season.