Author Topic: Help please  (Read 1825 times)

Offline willie

Re: Help please
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2020, 05:21:40 pm »
if you can get osage,,, go with that,,
for sure the best in the long haul, alternatives suggested to start tillering next month.

Offline del

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2020, 06:56:55 pm »
I have a red oak board bow glued up for about 3 months now.  I guess I will start getting it ready to make some firewood!  LOL
Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!
Psalm 46:10

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2020, 07:00:15 pm »
I am still making my first bow(hickory stave) and dense wood is tough to start with. If you have multiple options I would start with an easier to carve wood like elm. Learning how to best use the hand tools has been a journey all by itself for me and would be easier with lighter wood
In the woods I find my peace

Offline willie

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2020, 07:26:37 pm »
allyn,

did you work the hickory green? if by hand tools you mean a drawknife or spokeshave? green is by far easier and good for reduction before drying. rasps/files need dry though.

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2020, 08:08:02 pm »
Willie I started about 2 months after I split the log with draw knife and hatchet, even used a chain saw to rip part of it. The rest has been with rasp and file. The stave was about 8 or 10 inches thick to start with and I didn't really understand how much I was gonna be taking off. I have a much better understanding now lol
In the woods I find my peace