Author Topic: Raw hide backing questions  (Read 1660 times)

Offline Fox

Raw hide backing questions
« on: October 17, 2020, 03:28:28 pm »
I just made some deer rawhide strips for a bow backing on a elm bow... I nailed them to a board and now they are real dry and flat. I’m about to go sand them super dry... what’s the next step?

-Fox
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Raw hide backing questions
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 03:47:10 pm »
make a bow :)

Offline Fox

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 03:51:43 pm »
Hmm ... okay :BB

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 04:59:49 pm »
Wet them good and glue them on , I like to put flesh side down. I use TB 3 and put on just like I would a snake skin . Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 05:29:21 pm »
+1 with Pappy.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 07:09:28 am »
Like Pappy said. Rehydrate rawhide. Make sure strips are wide enough to cover back of bow. After hide is soft and pliable put epidermis side down on a towel. Put a “sizing layer of glue on both back of bow and flesh side of rawhide. I like to put masking tape on bow where I don’t want glue to stick. Lay rawhide on back of bow. Stroke rawhide from handle area towards tips to get any air or access glue bubbles out. You can then carefully wrap with a ace bandage to get good contact for your glue joint. Be careful wrapping though. Make sure your hide doesn’t move or wrinkle. Let it dry . Remove bandage. Use file to trim rawhide to edge and remove extra glue.

It’s best not to bend your bow for awhile till it dries out good again. Some people wait a few days. Some a few weeks

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 12:30:12 pm »
If by chance you find an air or excess glue pocket under the rawhide after you remove the wrap you can make a short cut lengthwise in the pocket and squeeze out the air and/or excess glue. I leave a wrap on rawhide and snake skin backing only for about an hour or 2. In that time the glue hasn't set up completely so you can still do this. Once the glue dries out completely you'll never see these slits.
 Also, strips of old bed sheets, first aid gauze or ace bandages make good wrapping materials.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 12:49:56 pm »
I have shot mine after a couple of days, and think the bow is still got too much moisture, if you can wait, I think a week is good,,

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 12:52:19 pm »
I agree, Brad. Even though the rawhide feels dry moisture has creeped into the wood so it needs time to dissipate completely.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 01:02:20 pm »
when I shot them too early,, there was actually a weight loss,, but after a few more days it came back,,

Offline Fox

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2020, 01:18:14 pm »
Okidoki, thanks guys. How should I join the two pieces of rawhide at the handle?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2020, 01:34:56 pm »
I just wrap with string, but its not that critical,,glued well will pretty much hold it,,i put some bow string wrap

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2020, 01:50:10 pm »
Okidoki, thanks guys. How should I join the two pieces of rawhide at the handle?

You can just butt them together or do a skived overlap to blend the edges.  I usually sand the tapers about an inch long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2020, 01:57:04 pm »
I use a scarf joint at the handle for a smooth transition. That is enough although I usually make my handle wrap with hemp string wrapped tightly around the handle and set in Massey finish(2ton epoxy thinned with acetone). The rawhide isn't necessary at the tips either but I sometimes wrap that end, about 6" from the tip with decorative thread set in super glue or Massey finish.

Offline Fox

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2020, 07:39:15 pm »
Okay ... whats a skived overlap? or a scarf joint?  ;D