Author Topic: Negative Tiller  (Read 2165 times)

Offline DC

Negative Tiller
« on: October 17, 2020, 05:29:54 pm »
Would a lot negative tiller cause a bow to shoot high?

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Negative Tiller
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 05:45:11 pm »
       It would be out of balance meaning/negative...Arrow tail high in flight...Bow would probably kick forward in upper limb causing the nock to rise sharply...Shooting high? I would say porpoise...
       Don, you would be able to tell if the top limb was rocking in your hand, and that may cause high impact if you are an instinctive shooter...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 05:55:17 pm »
It's my first shots with an overdraw. I'm concentrating on where the tip of the arrow is. I don't think I'd notice if it was rocking. It's shooting way high. I haven't managed to hit the target yet. These skinny little flight arrows are a pain to get out of a stall mat ;D

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 09:44:34 pm »
go closer to the target,, :)

bownarra

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 12:35:16 am »
You risk snapping them if you are too close.
DC flight arrows shouldn't hit where 'normal' arrows do....
hitting high is really a good thing. Have you read that section about flight arrows  in Scarcen Archery yet? Read up on missiles too :) There is a way to make arrows glide instead of following a parabola. I suspect the Turks had it figured out. Maybe that is why there is little variation in their flight arrows?

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 10:21:01 am »
It crossed my mind that wanting to go high wasn't such a bad thing for flight but I don't think this case is the arrow. I'll keep fiddling.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 10:59:40 am »
when I have a short bow that has negative tiller, the arrow will hit my hand on release,,it the tiller is positive the arrow comes across without hitting, if you have a shelf,, the negative tiller could cause the arrow to hit the shelf, causing unwanted arrow flight,,alot of this depends on your release as well,,if I have too much pressure on my third finger the arrow flight is a bit high,,
short bows seem to be a bit more sensative to tuning, issues,,

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 11:18:10 am »
I think it's more likely because you are looking at an arrow tip that is not where it should be.  Are you trying to hold it on target as a reference?

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 11:33:17 am »
when I have a short bow that has negative tiller, the arrow will hit my hand on release,,it the tiller is positive the arrow comes across without hitting, if you have a shelf,, the negative tiller could cause the arrow to hit the shelf, causing unwanted arrow flight,,alot of this depends on your release as well,,if I have too much pressure on my third finger the arrow flight is a bit high,,
short bows seem to be a bit more sensative to tuning, issues,,

This sounds plausible. It's not hitting a bit high, it's hitting a lot high. I aim as I would normally. I'm about 10 yds out and it goes 3-4 ft high. If I went back 20 yds I'd miss the shed. The bottom limb took some set(causing the neg tiller) so I've glued a splint on it to correct the tiller. It's already a junk bow so I can glue crap all over ;D

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 12:00:03 pm »
What is positive vs negative tiller mean? Aren't limbs supposed to bend symmetrically
In the woods I find my peace

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2020, 12:05:21 pm »
you gonna have to lower you aim quite a bit,, wow,,,
I never experienced that, so keep us posted as to how you resolve it,,,

Allyn,, some bows shoot a bit better with the bottom limb a bit stronger or stiffer,,

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2020, 12:11:22 pm »
What is positive vs negative tiller mean? Aren't limbs supposed to bend symmetrically
You measure from the string to the bow equidistant from the middle. If the top limb measures a little more, it's positive tiller and vice versa. We're talking 1/8-1/4" or so. I measure 6" out from the middle of the bow and measure to the string from there. You can also do every 6" to give you an idea of how the limbs compare.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2020, 12:16:49 pm »
ok DC,, if you are using the point of the arrow to aim, it might have to be way below the target,, like in the dirt,, with a short arrow,,

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2020, 01:23:37 pm »
Thank you dc. Brad why is that
In the woods I find my peace

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2020, 01:32:39 pm »
if your using tip, the shorter the arrow, the lower you have to aim,, thats just a rough generalization,,,
its hard to explain,,if you have never tried it,,lots of variables, the way you anchor and all that