Author Topic: Stone points  (Read 1306 times)

Offline Woody roberts

Stone points
« on: October 20, 2020, 04:29:14 pm »
Mods if this is in the wrong area please fell free to move.

I have a friend whose husband recently passed away. He had been an avid arrowhead hunter his entire life. She is left with a considerable collection. She asked if they had any value. They had no children to leave them to.

I said I thought they had a value but didn’t know where to go to see what they might be worth.

I was hoping someone on here could steer us in a direction.

Offline PaulN/KS

Re: Stone points
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 07:55:47 pm »
These days the selling of artifacts seems to be a sensitive issue. I would recommend contacting a local museum and consider donating them as a memorial.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 08:01:55 pm »
There are several "artifact shows" around the country where people sell, trade, or show their arrowheads and collections.

If you google "artifact shows 2020" the first thing that pops up is a calendar from arrowheads.com

I would start there.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 09:02:08 am »
+1 on the museum. i would do that if i found any personally. my museums native american exhibit is too small and i spend too much time there!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline JEB

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 10:43:04 am »
Museum would be the last place I would take them. They wind up in boxes in the basement.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 11:45:27 am »
oh yeah thats a good point...
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 12:53:31 pm »
If they are catalogued, identified, and displayed, the collection should have a good value.  Try to find a reputable collector/dealer.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline backwoodsguy

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 03:07:14 pm »
Arrowheads are like old coins. You'll need to get them certified to get top dollar. Usually certification can be gotten at a show.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 05:48:39 pm »
Beware museums, once you give them something it is theirs, they can sell it out the back door and do. The flintlock guys have mentioned giving a museum their family heirloom rifle and it was never seen again.

There was an artifact museum downtown that had a back door reputation of black market sales, the money was pocketed by the guys who ran the place. Guys who collected told me this, I didn't have any first hand experience.

The above mentioned museum was torn down, a new one was built and run by the state, the shady stuff stopped, I even donated a bowl to them, I am pointing to it, it is the one with the chip out of it.

A big collection will take a while to access and catalog, mine wasn't that big but my son and I spent a whole day sifting through it before I gave the stuff to my granddaughter.

If he has any paleo fluted stuff they can go for 10 to 15K each now. Prices have skyrocketed.

Although the sales of artifacts is generally frowned upon, I have friends who have made big money selling parts of their collection.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 05:52:32 pm by Eric Krewson »