Author Topic: Releases  (Read 6797 times)

Offline DC

Releases
« on: October 19, 2020, 03:15:06 pm »
Say I have a selfbow and arrow, non center shot, nicely matched, arrow spined correctly, all that and I shoot Mediterranean. What happens if I borrow a release from a compound buddy and use it to shoot my bow?

Offline mmattockx

Re: Releases
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 05:22:06 pm »
Your shots become more consistent.

;D

Mark

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 05:47:06 pm »
You'll be banned from the forum, stripped of all your bow-building awards, and driven naked into the wilderness.   ;D
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 06:55:08 pm »
Your shots become more consistent.

;D

Mark

Consistent maybe, but accurate??

You'll be banned from the forum, stripped of all your bow-building awards, and driven naked into the wilderness.   ;D

Sounds like a TV show ;D ;D

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 07:43:33 pm »

Consistent always equals accurate, doesn't it? Mechanical releases are one of the main reasons wheel bows are more accurate when shot by a human being. I think all types of bows are about the same if shot with a machine, but people aren't machines.

Mark

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 12:27:43 am »
At the risk of being branded a heretic and blasphemer...I tried playing with releases.  Experimented with both mechanical and non-mechanical.

My takeaway is that it depends on your shooting style.

I shoot instinctual (or whatever kids are calling it these days).  I only hold at anchor for 1/10 second, or there abouts, and then pull through the release.

The releases don't work for me because I can't trigger the mechanicals at the right moment or toggle the non-mechanicals at the proper moment in my sequence.

Now, if you're a guy who holds at anchor until you feel the shot is right,  then they may give you a consistent release.  But it has no soul when you can't feel the string.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 12:42:31 am »
All of the above! >:D!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline AndrewS

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 08:19:00 am »
why not try a thumb release! theyre ummmm...... a way for me to keep you from that blasphemy!!! ;) ;D (lol) :fp
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 08:39:27 am »
why not try a thumb release! theyre ummmm...... a way for me to keep you from that blasphemy!!! ;) ;D (lol) :fp

I'm working on it actually  :D

But it's a slow process, for me it's like learning to shoot all over again and doing it left handed.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2020, 10:38:37 am »
I shoot instinctual (or whatever kids are calling it these days).  I only hold at anchor for 1/10 second, or there abouts, and then pull through the release.

Yeah, a release would be useless for you with that method.

But it has no soul when you can't feel the string.

I would agree with that. I shot a compound a couple weeks ago for the first time and it was way too sterile. Felt much more like shooting a rifle than a bow. Super easy to shoot tiny groups with, but the novelty wore off in about a dozen shots. Give me a traditional bow any day.

Mark

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2020, 10:55:53 am »
Even when I shot wheels I shot with a glove, not a release. I like the feel of the string on my fingers and I like feeling the increase draw weight you get as you draw unlike with a wheel bow. I never liked the let off. My wheel bow was a PSE Nova and after a while I sent it back to PSE to replace the cams for wheels and started shooting instinctively but that let off still messed with me.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2020, 11:42:41 am »
Did anyone have to change the spine of their arrows when they used a release?

Consistent always equals accurate, doesn't it? Mechanical releases are one of the main reasons wheel bows are more accurate when shot by a human being. I think all types of bows are about the same if shot with a machine, but people aren't machines.

Mark

If the spine requirement changed you might find yourself consistently to the left or right. Would that be considered accurate? You could adjust for it, then it would be both.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2020, 01:01:38 pm »
If the spine requirement changed you might find yourself consistently to the left or right. Would that be considered accurate? You could adjust for it, then it would be both.

Accurate to me is small groups, wherever they land. Hitting the target is just a matter of adjusting the aiming point to suit.

Mark

Offline willie

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2020, 09:58:48 pm »

wouldn't precision be group size, and group placement be accuracy? Actually the word accuracy has a few meanings. see the targets about half way down here......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accuracy_and_precision

a stiffer arrow, in addition to a release, might also help to shrink groups
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 10:05:17 pm by willie »