Author Topic: Point on distance  (Read 2012 times)

Offline mutt

Point on distance
« on: October 20, 2020, 08:40:39 am »
Hey!
I recently switched to 3 under for a try to improve my accuracy. I shoot a semi bendy handle cherokee style osage bow the is 64" NTN and 49 lbs at 28". I can only safely shoot at 10 yds at my house and there are no ranges that I know of nearby. I only have time to sneak out behind the garage every couple days and fire off about 10-20 arrows.
Ok, now the question: I was aiming in the dirt with a split finger grip to hit an 18" bag target on the ground near the center.
went to 3 under grip and now I am "point on" at ten yards. I dont believe i am drawing the full 28" (back tension, I just cant make myself do it) but what does this 10 yard point on distance say about my set up? am i going to be stacking at 25 yards?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Point on distance
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 04:09:10 pm »
First off I will say I don't shoot that way, but am around a lots of guys that do, in fact most people I know shoot that way. With a point on at 10 yards it will depend on the speed and flat shooting of your bow but with most self bows , they ant that fast or flat so you will be holding high for 25 yards, on an animal target I would say at least the top of the back and maybe more. You just have to work with the bow you are shooting and figure out where to hold on a given target. Bow weight and speed /length and weight of arrow all play a big part in point on style shooting. You just have to take the time to figure it out.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good