Author Topic: Bleach goose feathers?  (Read 10334 times)

Offline BigWapiti

Bleach goose feathers?
« on: May 02, 2008, 01:58:17 am »
I'm wanting to make some white fletches - have goose wings - can they be bleached successfully.  So far, I'm not having much luck. Where do you guys get those white feathers?  Swans??  :)
Mike B.
Central Washington State
"Take a kid hunting, it'll make a WORLD of difference" -me

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Bleach goose feathers?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 02:49:25 am »
White turkeys.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 03:34:46 am »
almost all domesticated Turkey and Geese have white Feathers....you could always dye them also,,,,but this is pretty entailed....you have to strip them of all dirt and Oils first....in either a strong Detergent....or something like Acetone or Benzene....which I would stay away from myself....then bleach them with Peroxide....or use dye on them for what ever color you prefer
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 09:24:59 am by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 04:00:59 am »
Domestic turkeys ... duh ... of course, didn't even cross my mind.

But I'll tell ya, bleach eats feathers quick. 
Mike B.
Central Washington State

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 09:24:03 am »
Domestic turkeys ... duh ... of course, didn't even cross my mind.

But I'll tell ya, bleach eats feathers quick. 

Not Household Bleach :o.............. it is a Caustic :P.........you bet it will eat Feathers!!!!! Try Hydrogen Peroxide Solution.if you can get the Stuff that they use for Bleaching Hair....it is stronger...but regular Peroxide will work also!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 12:29:32 pm »
Yeah, I realized how strong that stuff is.  Hydrogen Peroxide makes sense.  But your guys' idea of domestic turkeys sounds better - if only I could find a turkey farm.  :)

Thanks for the help.  I made up a batch of goose feather arrows last night - black stilll looks nice, I just like to see my arrow fly and those white feathers do the trick.

Thanks!
Mike B.
Central Washington State

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 02:45:52 pm »
yeah same for me, i use wild turkey feathers for most all my arrows, but i did buy some blue dyed feather from a company just north of here a ways and they work real well, i bought them mainly for deer and turkey so i can see my arrow after the shot and see what i kind of hit and then maybe it will help me see the animal after the fletches are sticking out.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 01:00:34 am »
Hmmmm.....hair coloring on feathers.  Great idea.   ;D

Anyone tried this?
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 01:40:08 am »
If you mean like the Punk Rocker Hair colring....yeah that would Work....but Clairol or the Others for real Hair.....I don't see them doing enough to notice.....
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline chessieboy

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 07:12:29 pm »
snow geese are another great source of white feathers and a hoot to blast.

Offline billy

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 06:59:31 pm »
I got some white feathers from a guy on here many years ago.  He obtained them from a turkey farm so they are from domestic turkeys.  But the turkey farm was more interested in getting the turkeys fattened up as soon as possible so they could ship them off to market, rather than growing sturdy feathers for arrows.  The turkeys were sent to a processor while they were  young and tender, and because of this the feathers are not as sturdy or durable as wild turkey wing feathers.  But they definitely do work.  If you can locate a turkey farm or processor they may be able to help ya.  The turkey feathers I got were also covered in turkey sh$@ and a little bit of blood and when I opened up the box it sure smelled like a barnyard.
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 01:40:43 am »
Add a tracer to your arrows for visibility. I have used "rabbit zonkers" from a fly tying shop with good results. They are 1/4" strips of rabbit fur. Just cut them to length and glue them down around the shaft . I put them behind the feathers and have tried a few bright colors bu found white to be the most visible in low light shooting conditions.    I have also seen colorful feathers added to the forward end of the fletching for a more primitive look.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 12:19:53 pm »
Actually Pat, thats precisely what I did. :)  I dug into my fly tying gear and added white marabou as I would to a wooly bugger.  Tickles the nose something mad, and won't be worth much in the rain - but where I live, it hardly rains anyway.  I thought the marabou might cause less influence on the flight too.  Rabbit fur would be stronger though - might give that a go too.

Thanks for the ideas!
Mike B.
Central Washington State