Author Topic: Single bevel?  (Read 1754 times)

Offline ssrhythm

Single bevel?
« on: October 22, 2020, 01:39:35 pm »
I’m really new at knapping, and have been putting much more time into the bow making learning curve  than the point making curve.  When I do try to make points from flakes or try to make a biface preform, I always end up killing my width to thickness ration when pressure flaking and attempting to keep or achieve a good centerline.  I was lying in bed thinking about this and then I had a thought...what if I single beveled the point like my steel heads are.  I have a cool little arrowhead I found in the 90s that is like this snd has great helical.  I hopped up and grabbed a slab to see if it would work, and it’s the first point I’ve made that is sharp and of adequate proportions, and I don’t see why this wouldn’t actually penetrate better than a traditional
Double bevel design.  Anyone else doing single bevel heads with helical for hunting?  If so, how do they compare with other heads?  I think I can at least repeat this and produce enough similar weight points to hunt with starting with slabs.  I have a long way to go and a lot of learning to do to get adequate hunting points from raw rock.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Single bevel?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 01:47:12 pm »
A lot of real artifacts have single bevels. It is a good option.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr